TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

How to get rid of scars? - October 26th 2017, 01:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm not sure if this goes here but I have 45 scars (on last count) from self-harm alone. I don't cut anymore because I just don't want to hurt myself anymore...last time I cut a vein and it was just disgusting, totally put me off cutting again. The problem is, I have all these scars. Some are overlapping, some are really dark pink (almost red) and some are just a slighter darker shade of the surrounding skin (like tan-ish). Also I used to cut myself when I was really struggling with my sexuality (to the point where I was suicidal) and had a massive and unrequited crush on a straight girl so I cut the word...not sure if I'm allowed to type it...f*g into my leg. And now that I'm in a better place and I see it...well, it's not very encouraging My main motivation for trying to clear them up is, I don't want my future partner to see them. Obviously, I'll have to tell her that I used to cut but I'd rather she didn't see the aftermath because it's pretty depressing. I've read up on a few methods but they sound kind of dodgy. Like placebos. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a scar removing (or at least, lightening) method and had success?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheEdenProject Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How to get rid of scars? - October 26th 2017, 03:48 PM

there are a lot of oils that can help scars to heal and get a lot lighter. one which i use for my mastectomy (top surgery) scars is bio-oil. a friend of mine also used it for her self harm scars and she said it helped her out a lot.

if you google 'top surgery scar care' you'll probably also find a lot of results to make scars heal faster and lighter, since it's all the same scar-tissue.

"We drift away
Diffusing light
Confusing times
Growing up
Or cascading down?
Cascading down
I'm hurting now"

- EDEN // crash

feel free to PM or VM me if you need someone to talk to, i always have a listening ear and i never judge anyone.

former HelpLINK Mentor - 01/20/18

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: How to get rid of scars? - October 27th 2017, 01:33 PM

Iíve read up on a couple different things but havenít used them routinely enough to know if they work. Something that has helped me though, is using a soap that exfoliates (for fresh scars) and then using a soothing lotion such as one that has aloe in it. You could also try other lotions that are meant for stretch marks as they sometimes have some of the same properties, and cocoa butter is supposed to help as well.

You could apply lemon juice to the scars three times a day, let them try, and then rub it off but that has to be done rather routinely and that can be difficult.

You could make a scrub with vitamin E oil and baking soda and use that as well.

You could also try any commercialized scar remover creams or strips but those could be more expensive.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to get rid of scars? - October 27th 2017, 04:25 PM

I haven't had much success with any of the scar removal things I have tried. The only thing that has worked, slightly, is time. The older scars get the more they tend to lighten up. My scars will never completely fade because of how extensive they were and also because some of the scars are raised. But, they definitely are not as purple/dark red and ugly as they used to be.

I have heard varying things about what Cassie suggested. Some people did have decent results and others did not. I have heard that shea butter lotion can help as well and it tends to be a bit cheaper than a lot of the scar creams out there.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread