TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

I need to stop while I still can - November 8th 2017, 01:07 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all.

Recently I started self-harming again after being self-harm free for a few months. I have Bipolar Disorder and my medication regimen hasn't been effective for about six weeks now. When I'm feeling manic everything is great, but when I'm depressed I turn towards self-harm. The self-harm I was doing was relatively minor in comparison to the damage I've done in the past up until about a week ago. I won't go into detail about methods/tools, but I found a new way to hurt myself that gives me a high that no other method has done, at least not as quickly.

I've known I'm an addict to self-harm for many years now. I tried 12-Step meetings for a while but it wasn't for me. I basically dealt with it by telling myself I had to abstain or else I'd probably end up inadvertently killing myself. I haven't felt this high in ages, though, and it lifts me up out of the depression I'm feeling, if only for a while. It's enough to make me think it's worth it, though. Even though I know it's not I can't trick my brain into thinking it's not because my brain clings to the endorphin rush.

My partner asked me today how we're going to keep me safe and the answer is that I don't know. I could go back to the hospital, but it would be rather pointless, for various reasons. This doesn't really warrant residential treatment, and besides, I've been to residential twice this year; I don't need to go anymore. I'm currently in IOP. Basically this leaves just "trying to be better" but that usually fails when I try it, so how do I ensure it doesn't? I have alternatives that work but how do I motivate myself to use them when it's so much easier to just give in to my urges?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I need to stop while I still can - November 8th 2017, 11:25 AM

That endorphin rush that your brain gets when you harm yourself can be really difficult to battle with. Sometimes it gets to a point where your body even wants the rush and a physical dependence can develop and it’s hard to work with either one.

One thing to think about is maybe trying to use at least one alternative before you harm yourself. That way you’re in the habit of using at least one before you self-harm. You can also try the fifteen minute game where you tell yourself you can hurt yourself in fifteen minutes but you keep adding alternatives. Would it help you if you told yourself that? That way it seemed like self-harming was still available to you?

You could also try listening to affirmations or making some of your own if you’d like. They don’t work immediately but they do make a difference if said or listened to daily for a few weeks. It might slowly help you believe positive things about yourself and about protecting your body instead of harming it.

Another thing you could try is to have people hold you accountable. You could have your partner ask you what alternatives you’ve used or are planning on using during each day. Perhaps you could let your partner hold your tools or you could let them know when you’re feeling badly. Having them aware during that moment might decrease your self-harm.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread