TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bianca_Mae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bianca

Unhappy Short sleeves? - December 27th 2017, 11:51 PM

So I'm currently at five months free of self harm and I still struggle with wearing short sleeves around my friends and the other people at school. I wear short sleeves for gym because it is hard to find long sleeved shirts that fit the dress code and I've been questioned about what happened and I just said "Oh my dog scratched me" and they dropped the subject but i don't know if they believed me.

But when is it considered okay to wear short sleeves because My scars aren't really faded.

And like I know people say to buy scar cream and stuff but like I really don't want to because I feel like once the scars are gone I'm going to feel the need to make new ones.

Anyway back to my original thing, when is it okay to wear short sleeves?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Short sleeves? - December 27th 2017, 11:57 PM

It depends on the severity (ie, how deep/frequent/long) you cut. Deeper cuts will turn into scars that over the course of years, will turn into faint white lines. But superficial cuts will fade away over time. There's really no time frame for it, as I said, there are variables.

In the meantime, you can find alternates to cover your scars that is still fashionable/suitable/etc. Bracelets, charm bracelets, headbands, scrunchies, anything that people typically wear around their wrists whether or not they've cut. So you can wear short sleeves now if you want.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Short sleeves? - December 28th 2017, 02:27 AM

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

The fact is that there are people who are going to have scars for a relatively long time. I have been cutting since I was 12 or 13 and my self harm got progressively worse. Due to how deeply I was cutting my scars are unlikely to ever truly fade away. The will lighten up but people will always be able to tell that I used to cut.

This fact prevented me from not covering my arms for a really long time. I didn't want to deal with the comments people would be likely to make. I have recently started to not cover my arms most of the time but I am still unable to go without covering them around friend's because I am not comfortable since it would hurt more if one of them made an insensitive comment.

So, if you feel like you would be comfortable not covering your scars (whether or not they have faded) than go for it. People might make comments but there will be just as many people who will be kind. I don't think I have had too many people make comments but I do notice people staring. If you think that not covering them up will be too uncomfortable or a possible trigger than you can continue to cover them.

I know that I was able to find arm warmers to wear so that I could wear short sleeves in the summer instead of wearing long sleeves all year long. If you don't have scars all over and they could be hidden with bracelets or one of those wrist sweat bands or an ace bandage than you can do that as well.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Short sleeves? - December 28th 2017, 09:04 AM

Hey there,

I think it is all up to you. I would always wear long sleeves and sweatshirts, but when I quit cutting and everyone found out I used to cut I stopped. And when I started again I would wear long sleeves until they wear scabbed over and then wouldn't even bother.

I will say this people usually don't notice them unless they are really staring at you. I wouldn't worry to much about it. If people ask just brush it off or tell them it is all up to you. I have scars all up and down my arms and legs and they are very noticeable and I don't get asked about them.

Scars fade at all different rates and it depends on the person. None of my scars will ever go away, because I scar really easily and they don't fade. Some peoples scars will go away no matter how deep they are. It all depends on your skin.

I also feel you on not wanting the scars to go away. Even though mine never go away they do fade but you can still see them, and it pisses me off that they aren't really noticeable.

Anyways I think you should do what you feel comfortable with. Don't let what other people think stop you from wearing what you want.

If you ever need to talk I am just a pm/VM away.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: Short sleeves? - December 30th 2017, 09:32 PM

Its whatever you are most comfortable with. When you feel like you're ready to wear short sleeves, then wear them.

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Emily02 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Short sleeves? - January 3rd 2018, 11:09 PM

I always wear long sleeves to cover up my scars, including for PE lessons at school. I came on here today because everyone in my class saw my scars earlier, as we had PE but I didn't have my PE kit. I had to do the lesson in my underwear, with only my bra on top so I couldn't hide my scars. I thought everyone would be looking at my scars, but they weren't

Closed Thread