TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Let's celebrate!
(Click me to find out why.)
Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Not a n00b

Unhappy Help - January 13th 2018, 09:01 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[SIZE="a"]So...Thursday evening, I hurt myself. I just didn't know what else to do, I just had so much anger and self-hatred building up inside me, I had to take it out somehow. I ended up cutting myself with a razor blade. Even though I didn't cut very deep, it bled a lot more than I expected and I got scared. I had to grab a tissue and put pressure on it for a while to stop the bleeding. When my dad came into my room to say goodnight, I had a hard time hiding it because it wouldn't stop bleeding and I had to keep holding the tissue. I don't want this to happen again although I know it probably will. I have hurt myself before but not very often, and this is the first time I've used a sharp object and drawn blood. The wound has stopped bleeding but it is still there. Hopefully, it will heal up soon, but in the meantime, I'm trying not to draw too much attention to it. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help - January 13th 2018, 11:40 PM

Hey there,

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I am glad that you have reached out to us about this though. Do you have a close relationship with either of your parents? If so I think that the best thing you could do is reach out to them and let them know what is going on. I know this might be a hard thing to do but your parents might be able to get you help for the difficult emotions you are dealing with and get you help for the self harm.

Something else I would suggest is that you consider looking into Hotlines when you are feeling the urge to harm yourself. If you are in the USA there is a textline that you could use as well. The textline works with a lot of the major carriers and it doesn't show up on any phone bill. I know having a conversation with someone while your parents are in the house might be difficult but it might be slightly easier to text. One other suggestion you might want to consider is looking at the resource page since there are some resources that that deal with self harm.

Lastly, it might be worth looking into the Alternatives to Self Harm.
I know the alternatives do not work for everyone but they have worked for some people. One thing that helps me to avoid self harm is playing the fifteen minute game. What I do is if I have an urge I will tell myself that I need to try an alternative for at least 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes is up, if I still have an urge, I will try another alternative or continue with the alternative I have been using. For example, if I want to cut I will tell myself I have to read for at least 15 minutes. If I get through that 15 minutes I will go another. This usually helps me get through some relatively intense urges even if I have to do it for quite some time.

I really hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Broken crayons still color.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Help - January 14th 2018, 02:24 PM

Reaching out as mentioned above can be helpful. Though it can be hard sometimes sharing what's on your mind with someone can do a world of good. If you can't or don't want to talk to anyone about how you're feeling consider blogging or journaling about your feelings so they aren't stuck in your mind anymore.

Another thing you can think about is how you feel right now in regards to self-harming. What do you feel? Try to write these things down. For instance, if you write that you feel guilty, you can look at your writing before you consider self-harming in the future.

The different resources listed to you above can definitely help so be sure to check those out when you feel up to it! Remember that we are here for you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Senior Newsletter Editor|Forum & Community Moderator

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-

Closed Thread