TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bass6949 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Why is it so addicting? - March 26th 2018, 03:58 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Honestly, why is cutting so addicting? I have been doing it for 8 years now and I was probably close to one year clean but now Iím at a point where I canít stop doing it again. And Iím in counseling and my counselor knows about it. My nurse at my university also knows because sheís prescribed me antidepressants to try and help me. And they were concerned when I started doing it again but it wasnít that often. And now itís almost everyday. I just enjoy the feeling and seeing blood run down my leg and the numbness after I do it. But Iím also to the point where I need to do it a lot to get numb. And I just crave it so much more. Iím just really struggling and at this rate I donít think Iíll be alive much longer.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
joydalia38 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why is it so addicting? - March 26th 2018, 09:07 AM

:-(( So sad to hear it. What helped you stop the first time and what made you start again? Is it really nobody that can help?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Aca-awkward Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Why is it so addicting? - March 26th 2018, 10:04 AM

Hey,

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I honestly know how you feel. I started self-harming when I was five. It wasn't as instant or bad as cutting. But I started cutting when I was 14 years old. I actually stopped when I was fifteen and had stopped for four years. But then I started collage and it all went to hell. So you honestly are not alone in this at all.

So to answer the question on why cutting is so addictive, it's because when you cut it releases endorphins that are the happy chemicals. So when that happens you get this rush and it feel like a high. I really hope this makes sense. I wish I can explain further but I can't.

As for like the feeling of the blood running down your leg and seeing it. I know for me when I see the blood when I first make the cut and it running down my leg it reminds me that I am alive.

You have been cutting for 8 years so it makes sense that you need to do it more than you use to to get the relief. Also I know when I started cutting after 4 years of not doing it. I didn't get the relief so I had to do it more and deeper. So I want to tell you to me really careful because usually doing it more will stopping giving you the relief and you will find yourself going deeper and deeper.

So one thing that has helped me is after I cut I had to think of what triggered me and it helped me to stop doing it. Identifying your triggers can really help.

Also here is a list of alternatives you can use. It shows different copping skills for what emotion you are feeling. One thing that has helped me is to squeeze ice or chew it. Also snapping a rubber band or hair tye around your wrist can be helpful, but be careful because it actually can become a forum of self-harm when you do it so much you have welts or bruises even small cuts you need to stop and take it off your wrist.

I really hope this was helpful even if it was just a little bit. If you ever need to talk to someone who understands you can talk to me I don't get trigger easily anymore. So feel free to PM/VM me anytime.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

I got my ticket for the long way Ďround
Two bottle Ďa whiskey for the way
And I sure would like some sweet company
And Iím leaving tomorrow, wha-do-ya say?

|Member 2007||Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread