TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

Lightbulb Clean! (And an alternative I found) - April 3rd 2018, 07:06 PM

Just thought maybe I could just share this wth everyone...
I haven't self-harmed in about 2 weeks. I still very much want to hurt myself,
but I'm trying to control myself from picking up [Edited] or a [Edited]. I saw something on Pinterest that has kind of helped me. It is called the Butterfly Project. What you do is every time you feel like self-harming, you draw a butterfly on yourself. You have to let the butterfly fade away naturally. If you hurt yourself, then the butterfly dies. If you have multiple butterflies and self-harm, they all die. You can also name the butterfly after a loved one, or have a loved one draw the butterfly so it is extra special. Even if you don't self-harm, you can still participate and name the butterfly after someone you know who self-harms.
I have multiple butterflies and they are fading away naturally. I'm just a little bit proud of myself for not harming myself because when I do, it's pretty bad.

I hope this alternative I found can maybe help other people~

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; April 3rd 2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Please do not post types of tools used to self harm as it goes against TOS.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Clean! (And an alternative I found) - April 3rd 2018, 08:06 PM

Hello,

I think it's great you have been able to go without self harm. I know it's not easy and you should be so proud of yourself. I hope that you are able to keep it up. One thing I will say is that if you happen to relapse don't beat yourself up about it. I only mention this because I was two and a half years clean back in 2015 and had a relapse and was hard on myself. Being hard on myself led to me to continue with the self harm instead of recovering again. Just remember relapses can happen and they can help us learn more about our triggers and the best ways to cope.

We also have Alternatives and Coping Methods resource if you'd like to look at that. A lot of the time it can help to have more than one alternative to self harm and my hope is that some of those listed on that page will help.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Clean! (And an alternative I found) - April 4th 2018, 02:11 PM

It is awesome that you've been able to stay free from self-harm. I hope you are proud of yourself. I have heard of the butterfly project before and it seems like a pretty cool thing to do when you are struggling. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread