TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Winchester666 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

I can't stop - April 26th 2018, 02:04 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So a while ago, I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression. I was self harming for a while, but managed to stop. But recently, I can't. I don't want to keep hurting myself, at least to some degree. I hate how disappointed my mom gets when she finds out, or how angry my friends get when they find out. It doesn't help that I haven't been taking my pill. I know I should, but I hate it. It's been about a week since I've cut and I'm proud of myself for that, but when I get home from school today, that might not be the case. I don't know how to stop.

"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good." - George Feeny

Last edited by Hypothesis.; April 26th 2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: I moved this to Self Harm, where you will receive better advice about cutting. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
seeking_love Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't stop - April 27th 2018, 01:36 PM

have you ever heard the quote " you wouldn't do this to someone else, so why do you do it to yourself?" i find that thinking about it kike this has helped some of my friends in the past, its a different way of thinking and it may help you.

just remember that your friends and family are only angry or disappointed because they care about you and don't want to see you hurting like this. they love you and want you to be okay, they probably just feel helpless. stay strong <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I can't stop - April 28th 2018, 12:00 AM

Hey Chris,
First of all I am really sorry that you are going through this. I know how difficult this is to deal with.

Congrats on being a week clean of self-harm, it may not seem like it but it is a big deal and awesome that you have made it that far.

You should really take your medication that maybe a huge part on why you are feeling down. Did the medication help you cut less when you were taking them? If so I would go back on them. If they have side effects you don't like then I would make an appointment with your doctor and tell them so they can give you something different.

As for the SH do you know your triggers and why you do it each time? If you don't it may help to identify those so you can get a better idea on why you do it. One suggestion I have is every time you self-harm write it down and write down what happened to make you do it, and any emotion you are feeling. Then you will probably be able to pinpoint your triggers and when you do it may be easier to stop.

Also there is a list of alternatives that is HERE. I would take a look at them. There is a lot of them, not all of them are going to work so you have to keep trying them until you find some that work. For me texting a fried, writing, or doing art really helps distract me so I don't think of SH.

I really hope this has helped even if it is a little. If you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I can't stop - April 28th 2018, 03:54 AM

Hello,

You should be quite proud of yourself for going a week without self harm. It's never easy to stop something like self harm and so the fact that you are trying and have gone so far is something to be proud of.

I think you have been provided some great advice. You mention hating your medication and I am wondering why. Is it because of the side effects because if it is you can ask for a different medication. I know there are a lot of reasons people decide not to take their medication so if you can explain your reasons we might be able to help you come up with ways to deal with it or combat the feelings you have about medication.

You were give the link to alternatives and that is a good thing to try. It is true that not every alternative will work but with time you will probably find some that work a bit. There is also an alternatives generator that comes with that link and it might be worth giving that a try as well.

Something I wanted to ask was how you mentioned that your mom and friends seem disappointed or angry when they find out you self harm, I am wondering if they are worried about you more than they are disappointed. The reason I am wondering this is because when I was struggling with self harm my family and friends worried a lot about me and at times that came off as disappointment or anger. It wasn't that they were truly angry though. Something that might be worth trying is talking to them about it. Trying to get an understanding of why they get angry or seem disappointed. It might be a hard conversation to have but it's possible it could help. Also, if you start talking to them a bit more it might help with your urges to self harm. Having support from family and friends when you are trying to recover can be quite beneficial.

Please keep hanging in there and know you can continue to reach out to us.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread