TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MMantlo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddyson

Question How have you stopped self harming? - June 2nd 2018, 03:53 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Honestly i don't know why I've put this as triggering but you know.

Anyway i want to try and stop self harming even though i have said this before i do i mean it is coming up to the summer time and most of my friends have been getting more suspicious i told them before i have stopped and i haven't. So for August or at least the end of July(when i break up from school AKA Sports day) i want to stop hurting myself and have my arms out well at least get the confidence!And stop self harming,so it would be useful if some of you could Pm me or something Orr comment how you stopped self harming or cope with it.
Any help would be useful,thanks!

Last edited by arepo; June 2nd 2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Moving to Self Harm forum. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: How have you stopped self harming? - June 2nd 2018, 11:45 PM

Hey,
to teenhelp. I am glad you have came to this sit to get advice on how to stop self-harming.

So for me I have been harming myself since I was five, so it was really hard to quit. I have quit cutting but not some of the other forums. My advice is if you do more than one forum I would stop the more sever one, so say you cut and bruise yourself I would quit the cutting first.

What helped me quit cutting was the fact that the job I want to do, won't higher me if I am cutting myself. So I decided to quit and I did. Somethings that help me are, drawing, writing, squeezing or chewing ice, I also would snap a hair tie or rubber band on my wrist, but be careful with this one it can quickly become a forum of SH, so if you see welts, bruises, or cuts where the band is I would advice you to quit using it. since you do sport I would suggest when you feel the urge to hurt yourself go outside and practice a sport.

Also I think you should check out THIS link. It has a whole list of different alternatives. It is a huge list and not all of them are going to work for you so I would keep trying different one until you find ones that work for you.

If you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How have you stopped self harming? - June 3rd 2018, 02:00 AM

Hey there,

Overcoming self harm is going to be different for everyone. I think the things that helped me was being able identify what my biggest triggers were and those were anger, anxiety and feeling unsafe. Knowing that these were my triggers helped me to be able to find some coping skills that helped. The other thing that propelled me into trying to recover was because I had a really bad self harm episode and my therapist told me that if it happened again I would have to go inpatient. I didn't want my mental illness to take any more from me and so I did what I could to overcome it. For me, personally, the intense urges I had didn't stop for about a year and a half then they decreased but they were a bit more manageable. I admit that for that year and a half my anxiety and discomfort increased ten fold and the only way I got through it was chatting on Teenhelp. I did have a relapse and it was bad and last for about 6-8 months and then it went away.

I noticed during this relapse that my pain threshold had decreased and due to the severity of my self harm I found no point in cutting if I could cut the way I wanted. This is still one of the main things that helps me from caving into the urges on most days.

I think that to overcome self harm you have to figure out how to live with the urges that might pop up. That might entail using coping skills, it might entail finding someone to talk to when you are struggling with thoughts of self harm or it might be finding other ways to distract.

You can overcome the urges to self harm but you have to figure out what ends up working for you. I know that isn't easy but you could check out Alternatives and Coping Methods. There is also an alternatives generator that might be worth giving a shot.

Lastly, if you need anyone to talk to feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread