TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Abbi22702 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

People are starting to notice I think... - August 14th 2018, 09:44 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I went with triggering just in case. Might be a long post because I need to let a few things out, so I apologize.

Anyway, a few days ago my friend's little sister asked if my wrists were okay after she pulled my bracelets off. She is only 3 years old, so I just told her the cat scratched me. She was going to tell everyone 'what her cat did', so I had to keep her from leaving her room.

A few days later, I cut on my hips, only to find out we were going out for a day to swim. I had to figure out a way to hide both the cuts on my wrists and my hips. (ugh). My friend (who is 8) saw them, but I told her it was shade from some trees. The bracelets thankfully covered my wrists.

Then the day after we were at the store and my sister, the only person who ever knew I cut in the past, asked me to take them off. She has no idea I'm cutting again, but I think she's catching on. She made a hint in front of my mom by saying, "You wear too many bracelets."

Two days ago my mom told me I need to "lets my wrists breathe". She was being sarcastic, but, ugh.

I also scraped an almost healed cut on my hip and couldn't really say anything.

I feel bad for complaining...but it's really hard to keep this a secret.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Black cats prowl.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: People are starting to notice I think... - August 15th 2018, 12:58 PM

You're not complaining, you're venting and hopefully having a place to talk about what you're going through has helped.

Self-harm tends to be hard to keep secret, and those who do keep it a secret tend to feel lonely in the process. You can tell someone if you're ready so you don't have to keep it to yourself anymore. You said your sister knew you've cut in the past. Do you feel comfortable talking to her or maybe to your mom?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

When black cats prowl,
and pumpkins gleam
may luck be yours
on Halloween.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Abbi22702 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Re: People are starting to notice I think... - August 15th 2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post
You're not complaining, you're venting and hopefully having a place to talk about what you're going through has helped.

Self-harm tends to be hard to keep secret, and those who do keep it a secret tend to feel lonely in the process. You can tell someone if you're ready so you don't have to keep it to yourself anymore. You said your sister knew you've cut in the past. Do you feel comfortable talking to her or maybe to your mom?

Thanks! My sister saw last night, and I got scared and denied it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: People are starting to notice I think... - August 16th 2018, 01:19 PM

Hey there,

Maybe, in a way, it would be good if the people around you found out. I know that when my family found out about my self harm they were able to get me therapy and other help. Sometimes when family finds out about their loved ones struggles they reach out to them and try and get them help; it's possible your family would do that. I know having them find out might be exceptionally scary but if it could lead you to a place where you could get help for the self harm don't you think it might be a good thing? Accepting that help can be difficult as well but it can end up being quite beneficial. I also want you to know that we don't see this as complaining, as stated you are venting about everything that is going on and everyone deserves to be able to vent.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread