TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Effy2018 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Michaela

Wrists - December 19th 2018, 01:09 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm really trying to stop self harming but nothing seems to working, I've had a pretty bad relapse this time. Keep cutting my wrists and arms. I'm scared that someone will find out and I will get my daughter taken from me. It doesn't effect the way I look after her and she never sees it but it still has me terrified that they will take her if I ask for help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
#1 Grace VanderWaal fan
Not a n00b

Name: Zoe

Re: Wrists - December 19th 2018, 03:52 PM

I am just a kid myself but if you still care for her in the best way you can then I don't see how they can take her away. They may recommend you getting help for yourself but not taking your kid away. At least that is the way I see it. Taking your kid away would make things worse for you the way I see it.

Darkness Keeps Chasing Me~ Grace VanderWaal

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hailey12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hailey

Re: Wrists - December 20th 2018, 11:33 PM

Hi Michaela! Relapses are really tough, so it's understandable that you're struggling right now, and I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that. The good news is, I don't think it's likely that your daughter is in any danger of being taken away. Are you able to speak with a therapist about this? I don't believe they will report you to CPS or anything as long as they don't believe you are a significant danger to yourself or others - i.e., if they believed that you were a serious suicide risk, or could potentially harm your daughter or another person, then they would need to take action. But it doesn't sound like either of those scenarios is an issue for you, so I wouldn't worry about it too much! Therapists are very good at determining whether someone is truly at risk, and if you're honest with them and truly aren't a risk, then you should be fine.

Worst case (e.g., if you get stuck with a brand new therapist who's overly concerned) - would it be possible for your daughter to stay with a friend or relative for a while? That may be a good option to have as a back-up, just in case, but because you're still able to take good care of your daughter, I don't think you're likely to need it.

Also remember that a part of taking good care of someone else is taking good care of yourself! I really encourage you to seek out a therapist if that's a possibility for you. There are also online alternatives to traditional therapy. I think reaching out for help when you need it is great role modeling for your daughter, and also shows how important it is to you to be there for her and get better! Best of luck to you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tiffers95 Offline
Here to help
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tiffany

Re: Wrists - December 23rd 2018, 08:22 PM

Like the others have said you do not have to worry about your daughter being taken away. You are still doing taking the best care of her that you can and that is all that can be asked for.

As for yourself, self harm is really difficult and I am sorry that you had a relapse. I am however glad you recognized it is a problem that needs to be addressed and here is what I suggest.

Just from your post I see that you love your little girl with all of your heart. Let me ask you the next time you think of harming yourself think of your little girl. If you need to carry a photo of her or a locket around your neck with a picture of her in it. Look at it at that moment and see if that helps. I think it just might help. Also engaging in other constructive activities with your daughter like coloring, making things with Play Doh or Slime, painting, playing games, reading to her or whatever works. I hope some of this works. If you ever need to chat please message me.

Closed Thread