TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Hard. - April 11th 2021, 09:13 PM

[SIZE="a"]Do you ever feel like you are never going to beat self harm? You make it a little bit and then you do this, hate yourself because you can't overcome it. Feel like something is wrong with you.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Hollie

Re: Hard. - April 11th 2021, 09:35 PM

I think many people can completely identify with feeling this way. Self harm is quite an addictive behaviour, in that you start to rely on it more and more over time for when you become triggered by things. Because of that, it becomes harder to quit and harder to beat. Many self harmers, myself included, have felt that there is something wrong with them, or that they will never win because of this. You're not alone, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with you. It's so common.

Are there any tools you have found to be helpful in the past for overcoming urges? It's a good idea to have a few ideas which you can turn to when you're finding it hard to avoid hurting yourself. For me, I find that watching some easy viewing TV helps, as well as keeping my hands occupied through repetetive tasks like ripping up paper or fiddling with something. Maybe you could try doing something like this too? Have a look at the Alternatives page if you like! Some of the tips on this page have helped me so much over the years, and the good thing about this page is there's a whole tonne of alternatives and distractions, so you can try lots of them to see which ones help you.

Please don't ever feel like you're never going to beat this though. It's a process, and some days will be good and others will be bad. I know it's hard, but be patient with yourself. If you've come to rely on something for a while already, replacing that unhealthy coping strategy with a healthier one will always be a challenge. If you have a day where you don't fight the urges, then it's another chance to beat them the next time. And every time you beat an urge will be a success, whether you lasted 5 minutes, 5 months or 5 years.

I hope you're doing okay. Stay strong, you've got this.

A paradox:
The things you donít need to liveó
books, art, cinema, wine, and so onó
are the things you need to live

- Matt Haig

Community Mentor | Outreach Ambassador | Articles Writer | Forum Moderator
VM|PM