TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Soda_Voxel Offline
Doing my best
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Please call me Soda.
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 12,644, Level: 16 Points: 12,644, Level: 16 Points: 12,644, Level: 16

(TW) I'm close to starting and I'm scared - March 2nd 2022, 07:12 PM

Each day I feel like I get closer and closer to self harming worse.

I used to self harm by punching myself, but eventually that just wasn't enough, and it also annoyed me since it never left a bruise or anything. I feel as though I'm really close to starting to self harm in more dangerous ways (I'm sure you can imagine) and I'm scared, and yet the same time I'm not. It's a paradox. The logical part of my brain is scared because I KNOW it's wrong,and I have the tools to do something far more healthy. But at the same time I'm not, I just want to do it, I want scars, I want to be hurt, all this stuff.

It's so weird, it's so scary. Every day I feel I get closer to doing it.

It's enough to live a live with love until we die
Autism, Depression, Anxiety
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: (TW) I'm close to starting and I'm scared - March 3rd 2022, 12:44 PM

Thank you for reaching out, Soda. I want to acknowledge that it's very brave you posted, and the fact that you're asking for help alone shows that even though you are struggling with these urges to self-harm, some part of you still wants to care for yourself, and that's a good thing. That voice is definitely worth listening to, and I am glad you are still in touch with it.

Unfortunately, self-harm is a behavior that has a tendency to make us want to escalate. It's very hard to just stick to whatever method we start with once we start doing it. The feeling you're having, that what you were doing isn't enough, is a common one, as is the desire to start doing more and causing more damage to yourself. I am sorry that you are hurting enough that you feel you are in this place.

Our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors are intimately connected, even when we don't always consciously realize it, and so it might be worth looking at what kinds of thoughts and emotions you are experiencing when you get these urges to self-harm.

I am glad there's still a logical part of your brain that is telling you engaging in more extensive SH behaviors would be wrong. The fact of the matter is it is. You risk getting into a very destructive cycle, you risk your own health more, and most importantly, you hurt your body, which continues to send your brain the message that you are someone worth hurting, when in fact you are not.

It sounds like you just have a lot going on, and there are some struggles in your life. That doesn't mean you deserve to hurt like this. I would encourage you to talk to someone, a trusted friend, parent, teacher, or counselor, if you're comfortable reaching out to someone who knows you and can maybe help you process these feelings. We are, of course, always happy to help you here, too, but sometimes there's an added benefit of talking face-to-face with someone who cares about you.

All in all, no matter what you're going through, you do not deserve to hurt like this. There are many other skills you can use as alternatives to self-harm when you get these urges, but I think it might be beneficial to look at why these thoughts and urges are escalating, and see if you can maybe talk with someone about them.

I hope this helps. Please take care of yourself. We are always here for you.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

Re: (TW) I'm close to starting and I'm scared - March 26th 2022, 08:47 PM

Hello Soda,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and I hope that you are doing a little bit better. When we get the feeling to sh, try to get your mind off of this for a while and the feeling will start to go away. If you are able to go for a walk around your house or reading a book for a while or drawing or painting or writing or listening to music or playing a game or putting on a funny movie or TV show or something else that you enjoy doing. Sometimes we have to do a few different things to help us get our minds off of the feeling to sh and that is totally fine to do. I hope that you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: (TW) I'm close to starting and I'm scared - March 27th 2022, 04:20 PM

That's absolutely wrong, not simply wrong. The right thing to is not to think about that. You can win that need.
Closed Thread