TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PlutoTheOpposum Offline
Lyl
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lyl
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 2,216, Level: 7 Points: 2,216, Level: 7 Points: 2,216, Level: 7

I can't let go of it. - March 2nd 2023, 08:29 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So , to start this off. I've been clean for a month (since January 25). I still get the urge pretty often, but most of the time it's just thoughts. Like "what if I did it?" but I'm able to supress the urges/thoughts. The problem is that the only thing stopping me is the repercussions. I don't want my parents to find out and take everything away. Or even worse, think my GF is making me sh and make us break up (that's been an actual reasoning.)
I think I'm doing a pretty good job supressing my urges, but I just can't let go of my tools. I feel like I need to keep them, just in case.
I don't know how to get rid of them. I'm scared my parents will find them and think I'm still doing it.
any advice? It's okay if not.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: I can't let go of it. - March 3rd 2023, 02:38 AM

First of all, congratulations on making it a month without self harming! That is a huge accomplishment and something to be proud of. You are resisting the urges, and that is so great

Maybe while you are deciding whether to get rid of your tools or not, you can make them harder to access. For example, if you put them somewhere you'd have to dig them out, it gives you time to think through the urge and whether or not it's worth actually acting upon it.

It can be hard to give up the tools you use to self harm. I know it's been one of my biggest challenges. I had to give them to a clinician at the DBT program I went to in order to give them up. Is there someone you trust who you can give them to and have them throw them out for you? Another option if you don't want to physically hand the self harm tools to someone, is to have them on FaceTime with you while you bring them to the outside trash can or dumpster. That way you have the physical accountability because someone is watching you get rid of the tools, and it would be pretty hard to get rid of the tools since going through an outside trash can like that would probably make you feel pretty gross.

It might help if you find a way to reward yourself for getting rid of the tools. The reward should be something motivating, like getting a new video game or even playing one you already have, buying a new book or reading one you already have, or going to your favorite place. Basically something that you can use to feel good after you've done something so hard.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread