TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Self-harm hospitals? - January 17th 2009, 03:15 PM

I am working on a story in which the main character is put into a hospital for Self Harm and an Eating Disorder. Can someone who has been there, give me some ideas for my story?

1. What is a tipacal day like?
2. What are the rules of the hospital?
3. Do you have some type of schooling?
4. Do you recieve points for good behaviour?
5. What are the rules concerning meals?
6. When is lights out?
7. When do you get up?
8. What disaplen do you recieve for breaking a rule, cutting,etc?
9. What happens when you first get there?
10. Do you have to go through verious body checks, to make sure you haven't cut?

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Self-harm hospitals? - January 17th 2009, 03:17 PM

I don't know much about them but there's a book called Cut which is set in a hospital where the main character goes in for self harm, maybe try reading that to get an idea.
There's also a lot of these biographies about real lives and I believe there's one of those also titled Cut which is about self harm. Sorry I couldn't be anymore help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Self-harm hospitals? - January 17th 2009, 03:31 PM

1. What is a typical day like?
It varies from hospital to hospital. In mine, we woke up about 7:00 and if we wanted to eat breakfast in our room we could, or we could go down to the cafeteria. We'd come back and fill out a 'goal for today' chart and had to put what our goal for today was, and then write how we were feeling, if we were suicidal, felt like self-harming and so forth. Then we'd have 'room time' where we basically sat in our rooms doing whatever we wanted. (We usually - against the rules- stood at our doors and talked.) Then we had free time, we could sit out on the couches, play games, talk, we used to attempt hacky sac. And then we'd have various groups, like about mental health, self harm, music, whatever. Then we'd go to lunch, more group time, more free time. Dinner, come back, free time, sleep.
You worked up a level system. You came in as a one, where you couldn't leave the unit. Then two, you could leave. Three, you could walk down and get food/soda from the cafeteria. You couldn't have shoe laces, glass, anything we could hurt ourselves with. We couldn't have any shampoo/mouthwash/conditioner or anything with 'alcohol' in the first three ingredients. No cussing, no self harming, no giving out your number/address.
I was only there for a few days, so no.
Um, not really. You did get to move up a level if you filled out paperwork and had good behavior.
No knives, no metal spoons, forks etc. You had to eat something, even if it was only a salad. If you didn't go down to the cafeteria they would bring your meal back.
6. When is lights out?
Either 10 or 11. I can't remember.
7. When do you get up?
Lights went on at 7:00, you had to be up by 7:30/8:00 depending on if it was a weekend or not.
You'd have to go down a level, and you'd usually go on constant watch where you had to be in view of a staff member at all times.
You had to fill out tons of paperwork, got a tour, had to change into scrubs (Got your clothes back as a level 2) And the checked for self harm and so forth.
10. Do you have to go through verious body checks, to make sure you haven't cut?
Only at the beginning. Then they just check your arms when you're walking by/when taking blood pressure and so forth.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Self-harm hospitals? - January 17th 2009, 03:48 PM

1. What is a tipacal day like?
Wake up, go into the recreation room & watch TV/take vitals. Breakfast, then group/DBT therapy. Snack afterwards. Schooling for 2-3 hours, then lunch. Rest time in rooms, then either free time or more therapy, with a snack. Point system in the rec room after that, then dinner. After dinner, free time in rooms, which is when you could make phone calls. Back out to rec room for TV/movie and another snack, then bed.

Somewhere in there you'd be pulled out by your individual psychiatrists and therapist to talk, usually this would be in the morning or afternoon.
You'd also be asked to give yourself a goal for the day, and try to achieve it.
On weekends, mornings were usually spent outside, same with afternoons. Visitors were mostly allowed on weekends.

No self-harm or hurting others. No swearing. No touching of any sort. Common courtesy & such is expected. I'm not really sure... it was a while ago. No shoelaces, jewelry of any sorts, clothing with strings (certain pajamas, hoodies, etc.), medicine had to be ordered through the pharmacy except for birth control. No spiral-bound notebooks, and mostly pencils were used versus pens. Phone calls were limited to one per day, and you could call friends approved by parents. No friends were allowed to visit the unit.
A tutor would come in Monday-Friday for a few hours. Schoolwork was generally sent by guidance counselors and such to be completed.
Insane. Every half hour you would recieve a check for good behavior. You'd earn certain points, and you could redeem the points for things during recreation time, like video games, or an extra phone call. Depending on your behavior, you had different levels: Level 1 was entrance and often constant monitoring by staff, level 2 allowed you outside but not to the cafeteria in the hospital, and level 3 gave you cafeteria access.
Eat half your meal. If you didn't like what was served, you had to eat a peanut butter/jelly sandwich. Snack was optional.
6. When is lights out?
10pm for teens, I think.
7. When do you get up?
Whenever you want, as long as it's before 9 or so.
Generally, they'd take checks away. You could be sent to your room for space. Sometimes they'd take your clothes away, generally for cutting and such. Huge tantrums would earn you time in the quiet room, which was basically a totally carpeted room so you couldn't hurt yourself. Sometimes you were put on watch by a staff member.
You go into an examination room and you are questioned about your physical health, sexual health, drugs, etc. They also ask you questions on your mental health and such, and also do a full-body exam. Sometime within the first 24 hours they draw blood. You are constantly monitored, even in your sleep, by a staff member.
Yes, two or three times a day, a nurse of your same sex would take you to your individual bathroom or the general bathroom and have you strip down to your underwear to check for cuts. Sometimes they would do this before your shower, so they may have you cover up with a towel.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

Last edited by BECCALICIOUS!; January 17th 2009 at 03:55 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: Self-harm hospitals? - January 17th 2009, 06:14 PM

Did you get roomates?

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TibbySkye Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tibby

Re: Self-harm hospitals? - January 17th 2009, 09:25 PM

From my personal experience:

1. What is a tipacal day like? Wake up, have vitals checked, sit in the game room for hours, meds, bed
2. What are the rules of the hospital? No romantic relationships, no drugs, no jewelery, no yelling or crying in front of others
3. Do you have some type of schooling? Yes but it was crap
4. Do you recieve points for good behaviour? No. They never payed attention
5. What are the rules concerning meals? None. they didn't check if we ate or not
6. When is lights out? 9
7. When do you get up? 8 AM
8. What disaplen do you recieve for breaking a rule, cutting,etc? you get written up. If you throw a fit, you get put in a room and strapped down
9. What happens when you first get there? You're checked from head to toe for anything like drugs, anything sharp, remove all jewelery, bag check, allowance (to use the phone), talk to the psych
10. Do you have to go through verious body checks, to make sure you haven't cut? Only if they think you have

Did you get roomates? Yes. Mine bit people.

Closed Thread