TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Talking *drum roll* Confronting a problem... - July 28th 2009, 05:14 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Let me start by saying Hi! My name is Anna and if you wanna know more about me, just read my profile...I don't wanna get too terribly wordy here...although I know I have a tendancy to write a ton....

So, I've been a member of TH on and off since 2003...and I've been cutting since 8th grade, Fall of 2001. I've been telling people to stop cutting and to confront their problems, to talk to someone and find other ways, that are perhaps more healthy, to cope with whatever is unbearable. And yet, I've not once taken my own advice...how hipocritical of me.

First, I'd like to appologise for having dished out all the advise I couldn't put into practice in my own life.

Second, I'd like to proudly announce that I FINALLY took a bit of my own advice and confrunted my problems. I've begun a long and pretty painful process of identifying exactly what urged me to cut, and then working through each problem until I can forgive myself and whoever esle was/is involved. I'm not the point fo approaching people and wanting to talk about much, but I'm at least dealing with stuff...and not cutting anymore.

Addisionally, I have taken what seemed like the impossbly hard step of telling my mother about cutting. I haven't had a terribly long conversation about it, but I owned up to the scars and explained at least a little about them...enough that she wouldn't worry about my revelation of cutting. Grant it, she was pretty freaked out, but she calmed down the more I talked and explained and I think that the very near future holds some incredible healing for me as well as her.

Third, I want to continue to tell everyone that you are not alone. Though you might think and feel that you are, you are not alone. Tell someone, anyone. Let a good friend be a good friend, trust them, tell them. Let a parent help you and guide you, trust them with your secret. Tell a priest in confession annonomously, tell a school counselor or a teacher/professor. Just tell someone. The weight lifted from not being the only one carrying your secret and pain is unable to be expressed in words. It's amazing!

I feel so much stronger now. I feel like I'm going to finally be able to conqure my past and the struggles I've had in the past. I feel like I have an alie.

I know that not everyone will be able to feel this way so quickly, but honestly, the sooner you are able to share your secret, the sooner you will be able to find a solution to the problem. Rememeber, a secret shared is a burden shared.

I'm sure a portion of this will sound like me congratulating myself...well, I am. It was a long hard struggle to get here...I have a hard struggle ahead, but I am moving ahead and that is cause for celebration.

So, I'd like to raise an imaginary glass of champagne (or sparkling grape jucie for anyone under 21.....or a shot of Vodka for those of you who think in Russian like me...lol) and toast everyone who has had the courage to make a step forward (no matter how seemingly large or small the step) in dealing with whatever you have to deal with. Congratulation to you all.

And hugs all around!

~Anna~

ps. as always, I'm here if ya need me...whenever, for whatever.

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: *drum roll* Confronting a problem... - July 28th 2009, 09:05 PM

anna i am amazingly proud of you for
doing all of that. you have real strength and true courage
yay!! *hugs*
this is very positive and inspiaring for me.
thank you so much for posting this!!! (:
  Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: *drum roll* Confronting a problem... - July 29th 2009, 07:29 PM

wow.
congratulations anna!
you deserve to celebrate! (:
as well as Katie said,
it's very inspiring.
thank you.
you have given me hope!

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Re: *drum roll* Confronting a problem... - July 29th 2009, 07:55 PM

I'm so glad that my struggles have been inspiring for yall.

It's been along tough road, and i know there will be ups and downs in the future, but it is so worth it to overcome such a harmful addiction.

If yall (or anyone else) need anything, just send me a message...I'm here to help!

~Anna~

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
Closed Thread