TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

ARE THE URGES REALLY GONE?! - July 29th 2009, 07:26 AM

So tonight, I was in a LOT of bad moods(like usual) and my mom was drinking(which is usually a trigger), but I didn't have ANY urges!!!!! I'm SO proud of myself, but I'm wondering if this is only for a little bit. Or is it going to last? Today is 4 weeks without cutting, and for the past week I was having TERRIBLE urges, but last night, I held ice cubes against my skin(where I had urges) until they melted and it hurt SO bad, and then later, I snapped a rubber band REALLY hard(which also hurt so bad) so that's why I ended up not cutting yesterday, but could that be the reason I didn't have urges, or could they really be gone already?!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: ARE THE URGES REALLY GONE?! - July 29th 2009, 08:27 AM

My urges seemed to just stop overnight. One night I wanted to cut the next I didnt. So its possible. Congrats on not cutting for 4 weeks thats a great accomplisment.

Why dont you try getting rid of all the stuff you self harm with incase your urges come back and then you wont have anything to hurt yourself with.

Goodluck I hope your urges dont come back!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
I've been here a while

Name: Tegan

Re: ARE THE URGES REALLY GONE?! - July 29th 2009, 11:51 AM

Four weeks is absolutely amazing!

Why don't you wait a little bit longer and see if the urges really have gone? If you think you are able to cope with them you could try using distraction techniques which are even more constructive than the ice cubes or the rubber band. Although they are so much better than cutting they're still forms of distraction where you are causing harm to yourself.

you could try drawing a butterfly on the place that you want to harm and giving it the name of someone you care about. Then this butterfly becomes that person, imagine that by harming the butterfly you're harming this person. Or you could try writing letters to people, I always find that if you put all your energy into writing things down the urges will become less intense. Also look at this link, hopefully if neither of those work you can find something that will work for you in there

I really hope the urges have gone Megan

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

Send a message via AIM to Tegan Send a message via Skype™ to Tegan 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: ARE THE URGES REALLY GONE?! - July 29th 2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Megan,

It's great that you didn't have any urges when you were around your triggers. I am very glad that you are proud of yourself Megan, because you have done so well to not give in to your triggers.

Four weeks is a very long time to go without self harming andthat is absolutely amazing, Megan. It is good that you've managed to use different, safer coping mechanisms rather than hurting yourself. What has helped you during this time, Megan? If you can identify that then you should try and remember the things that got you through the more difficult times and keep using those safe coping strategies (like the rubber band) when/if you need them.

I wouldn't like to tell you that your urges have gone forever as I don't think anyone can safely say that they're not going to get triggered again, but I just want to say that I'm proud of you for making it four weeks and I do hope that your urges have gone. Keep a note of your alternatives, just in case and perhaps now would be a good idea to get rid of the things you used to self harm with, as Kendi has said.

Take care and keep strong!

Closed Thread