TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

do you think? - August 2nd 2009, 05:19 PM

I noticed some scars on my friends arm none of them were fresh and most of them were faded, but now I'm starting to wonder if I found someone else with the same problem as me. When I asked him where he got the scars he changed the subject. Eventually I just dropped it, but I'm planning on taliking to him about it again. Then later he was sawing at his leg with a plastic knife...

So do you think I found someone else who SH?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: do you think? - August 2nd 2009, 05:24 PM

It's a really touchy topic to discuss, usually. You don't want to corner your friend and force him to speak about something that he may not feel comfortable talking about. You could ask him, yes, but I would strongly advise against pushing him to speak about anything that he doesn't feel comfortable speaking about. If he's comfortable with it, he'll discuss it with you. If not, I'd suggest that you leave it - despite your suspicions.

There are indeed many people that self-harm (or did self-harm) that you see every day. It's hard to believe but it's true. Some people are just better at hiding it in comparison to other people. If you would like to speak directly with someone who has had experience with self-harm, there are many individuals on TeenHelp who would be more than willing to help you out in that respect. While I can see the benefits of talking to a self-harmer in real life, sometimes it's just not an option at any given time.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AshtrayHeart Offline
Human Wreckage
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess.

Re: do you think? - August 3rd 2009, 02:34 AM

It sounds like he may have a SH problem as well, you should try and bring it up gradually dont force it on him because it can be a touchy subject for some people and he might feel uncomfortable

'Cause there's no pride to be found when you follow sheep around..

<3 15/3/09 <3
11 months, I love you.
  Send a message via MSN to AshtrayHeart  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: do you think? - August 3rd 2009, 03:03 AM

Hey There Andy,

It seems as though the signs you have witnessed might lead to self harm. However as Sabrina pointed out, self harm is a touchy subject, and he might feel uncomfortable talking about it if you corner him in.

However you don't want him to feel threatened so if you do speak with him, slowly go into the subject. Then maybe announce your suspicion and make sure you let him know that if he doesn't what to talk about it, then he doesn't have to.

This is such a sensitive subject. I really wish you the best of luck in talking to him. I hope all is well. Please take care of yourself.

Take care,

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Marshki Offline
Its Shazzy time
Average Joe

Name: Shazzy

Re: do you think? - August 3rd 2009, 12:42 PM

you should just be gental and take your time...to ease the tension when you are going to ask him. try not to be too direct, as often that could turn people away.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: do you think? - August 3rd 2009, 12:51 PM

There's a high chance that he probably has SH'ed in the past but I don't recommend confronting him about it. Just picture yourself in his shoes, would you like to be confronted about your problems with SH?

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Trying To Find Myself
Not a n00b

Name: Zara

Re: do you think? - August 3rd 2009, 01:23 PM

If you feel comfortable enough to talk to him about your SH, maybe that way he will feel more relaxed/comfortable about talking to you about it.
But like the others have said dont force him into talking if he really doesnt want to.

Helplink Mentor

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower... hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: do you think? - August 3rd 2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone.
I won't corner him. I'd probubly tell him about myself before asking him about it. I never planned to force him to talk about it. I think I probubly need to get him to trust me more.

[quote]There's a high chance that he probably has SH'ed in the past but I don't recommend confronting him about it. Just picture yourself in his shoes, would you like to be confronted about your problems with SH?[quote]

yes actually I would as long as I was alone with that person at the time

Closed Thread