TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Exclamation really struggling! Help! - August 6th 2009, 09:06 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i just... can't go on without cutting, its been 18 days without it and its driving me mad, i keep trying to stop but what's the point? i'm never gonna beat this. and when i stop cutting i get extremely suicidal! i hate it! i just hate myself so much and i need the pain, i need to release all the hurt and this is the only thing that will make me feel better... can't i just do it?! arg! im such a mess!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: really struggling! Help! - August 7th 2009, 06:18 AM

Hey Georgia!

18 days is simply amazing. There is no other way to put it. 18 days takes so much effort. It's hard, and it takes tons of work, you really have to put your mind to it to make it that far. I'm extremely proud of you. Keep up the amazing work!

If you do slip up though, it's okay. It's not the end of the world. Then just decide if you want to keep self harming, or if you want to just call it a slip-up and keep moving on as a self harm free person. I hope you chose the second option, but really the decision is entirely up to you.

Is not self harming making you suicidal? Or is it something else in your life? Perhaps you cover up your suicidal feelings by coping with self harming? I don't know you or your life well enough to say I know, but usually people run into the problem of not covering up a problem in their life. Try to find the root of the problem. What makes you feel depressed? Is there anyway you can change it?

If you're extremely suicdal and think you may actually harm yourself, call your local emergency services.

Is there anyone you could talk to about all this? It could be a parent, another adult you trust, a guidance counselor, doctor, and preferably a therapist. They can help you work through any feelings you may be having right now, and help you pull your life and emotional self back together and keep you from being a mess as you say. They can also help you realize that you don't need pain to make things in your life better.

Stay safe, and best of luck to you.
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: really struggling! Help! - August 8th 2009, 01:14 AM

Hey there,

I think that you should be proud of yourself for going 18 days without self-harm that is amazing. I know how hard it can be to go without self-harm but in the end it is so worth it. Self-harm really does not solve anything and in the end it tends to make people feel so much worse.

Sometimes going without self-harm can bring out the suicidal feelings because you don't have an escape or release from those feelings(like Maria said). Do you think working on finding out why you are suicidal might help you with your urges and your feelings? I know how difficult it can be to deal with the suicidal feelings head on but in the end it really can help.

If you don't know the reasons behind your thoughts journaling really might help(it helped me). Write down the events that took place in your day and the way it made you feel; if you feel extra sad write that down and try to find the reasons behind it. When you journal it doesn't have to be long and involved it can be a short sentence (or longer if you want):

August 7:

Felt sad today reason behind it might have been...

Basically journaling your thoughts can help you figure out why you were sad and it could also give you a more positive way of dealing with stressful situations.

Another thing I suggest is using the alternatives (http://forums.teenhelp.org/f12-self-harm/t9418-alternatives-self-harm/). The alternatives can be really helpful if you give them time to kick in (I usually give them at least thirty minutes).

I hope this helped and if you ever need to talk feel free to pm me.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Finding-Hope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cassie

Re: really struggling! Help! - August 9th 2009, 02:23 PM

Hey,

Well done on being cut free. You can go without cutting, 18 days proves that! I know it can get hard to keep fighting the urge but there is a point to stopping. There are lots of benefits and you can look back and be proud of yourself for being able to beat this addiction.

Have you tried using alternatives? It sounds like you need to find some other way of releasing the hurt you have inside you, a way that is not so harmful to yourself.

If you are suicidal, you need to talk to someone. Call a suicide helpline or tell a trusted adult or get yourself to the Emergency Department.

Have you ever considered getting help for your self harm, thoughts of suicide and any other issues you may have? Talking to a counsellor or psychologist may be helpful as they can offer you suggestions of ways to cope.

Stay strong.

-Cassie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: really struggling! Help! - August 9th 2009, 09:34 PM

Hey Georgia,

First of all congrats on reaching 18 days without self-harm, that is incredible! There are probably so many people that wish they were as strong willed as you are. Congrats!

You need to keep going strong, don't let something small throw that time away, or try and do one of the alternatives, found here.

Like what Jenna said, maybe blog, or journal your thoughts and feelings, if you want more of a public blog, consider making a blog here on TH. its a great way to get your feelings and emotions out.

PM me if you need anything
Stay strong
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread