TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Major urge - August 8th 2009, 06:51 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have been a self harmer for 1 year 9 months and a cutter for 11 months.
It has been 2 weeks 2 days since I last self harmed thats the longest ive not SHed in 11 months.

But now the urge is so strong I can hardly breath it is all I can think about. I constantly have the image of a blade running across my skin and blood streaming out.
Also as I know that I am not going to go swimming this hol I dont have the worry of ppl seeing the cuts. As I cut on my thighs now a days.

I have read and watched everything there is on the internet about beating urges and alternitives but non of them seem to be worth it.

Im at a true loss as to what to do as I so desperatly want to make it through the summer holiday without self harming.

LIZ

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Major urge - August 8th 2009, 08:08 PM

Hey Liz.

You are doing really well to fight the urges. 2 weeks 2 days is a great achievement :-) You don't have to self harm now there are other ways to release how you feel, which won't leave scars. Have you checked out the alternatives thread? If not there are loads of suggestions there of things to do instead of self harming. Maybe try writing a list of all the reasons why you shouldn't self harm. That might help you to decide whether it is really worth it. I hope you manage to fight the urges. You can do it so don't give up :-)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: Major urge - August 8th 2009, 08:19 PM

Hey Elizabeth,

It sounds as though you're going through a tough time at the moment. I'm sorry about that. I do think you should be proud of yourself for being self harm free for 2 weeks and 2 days. Each minute, hour, day is something to be proud of. As you've proved to yourself that you are strong and you can do this.

I do think trying a few alternatives is worth it. Self harming, on the other hand, I think isn't worth it. It's not going to make anything better; only mask underlying problems until they come back. The next day you wake up with the same problem that caused to self harm in the first place still there. You might think it works in the short term, but what about in the long run? It can cause some serious effects. Try a couple of alternatives listed in the alternatives thread at the top of this forum. Not all of them will work for you, but there will be ones that DO work for you. You can beat this urge.

If you need anything, my PM box is always open. Take care and stay strong.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SpiderHan03 Offline
Living for God
Average Joe

Name: Han

Re: Major urge - August 8th 2009, 08:25 PM

Hello.

I know fighting the urges are really hard for all of us self-harmers. If the alternatives aren't helping you... why don't you call someone. Or sometimes I'll just lay in bed and try to fall asleep. I'll wake up without a single cut and it makes me feel a lot better. I don't know if it'll work for you but it's worth a shot right? You're doing really good so don't forget that. Two weeks and two days is better than nothing.

"No matter how bad something is hurting us... sometimes it hurts worse to let it go..."

Send a message via AIM to SpiderHan03  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Finding-Hope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cassie

Re: Major urge - August 9th 2009, 02:10 PM

Hey,

Well done on going those 2 weeks and 2 days without self harm! I know that it's not easy when you're tempted to just give in.
Even though some distractions may not seem like they're worth it, maybe when you try them out you'll find that it works better than you think.
Also talking to someone might help, if you have a trusted adult or a friend you could go to?
It's great that you have determination to make it through this holiday without SH as determination and the want to recover is what makes the difference.
You can get through this and eventually the urge will pass.
Keep fighting.

Stay strong.

-Cassie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Major urge - August 12th 2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks guys for all your help and surport it means alot.
I thorght I would let you know that somehow I have make it to 2 weeks 6 days.
Evryday is a battle but I'll try.Thats all I can do after all

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
Closed Thread