TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

I've been thinking - August 14th 2009, 02:00 AM

I think this fits here but if it doesn't feel free to move it where it belongs.

Anyways...I've gotten told that my cutting was a stupid idea and I should have never done it in the first place..and that I should regret it or that I'm going to regret it later in life..Honestly I LOVE my scars they remind me of all that I have been through and the strength I had to over come it..I was talking to my grandma the other day and she said that right now thats how I think but when I'm like 80 years old I'll probley look back and think I was so stupid...But how can I honestly think that..when it was a way to cope and it helped me...I just don't think I will ever regret what I did...I guess the point of this is to see who thinks they will and who thinks they won't regret it.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I've been thinking - August 14th 2009, 02:30 AM

Hmm, I should think this fits here. I suppose it's how people look at the situation (self harm). For me, about my past, it's more of an experience where I can help people now whom are in the same situation. I did like cutting myself, I am not "ashamed." Because I learned how to help people in the same situation through myself. Make sense? I hope so...

You should love yourself, every part. Never be ashamed of who you are, what you've done or where you've been.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I've been thinking - August 14th 2009, 02:30 AM

Well when you are 80 you won’t have your scars anymore. Honestly as long as you are not harming yourself anymore, how you view that experience is up to you. Honestly I value every experience that I have, because when it is done and over with, I am that much stronger and more knowledgeable. So I can understand how you feel when you say you don’t regret what you did. And you don’t have to. But I do think it is healthy for you to understand that self harm is an unhealthy activity, that I think is what should be gained from overcoming self harm, that and a sense of self worth and respect for one’s own body.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: I've been thinking - August 14th 2009, 02:33 AM

I agree with you. Though this opinion we share is bias because we have or are self harming, where as your g-ma hasn't.
I like my scars, like you they remind me of the times I've been through. I can remember the excuses for each one, it reminds me that I haven't died yet, and that I can hold on still, does that make sense? I hope it does.
I think in the future that I won't change this opinion, my past and this period of me self harming is shaping me into who I will be in the future, my past has made me who I am today. I don't regret anything or I wouldn't be who I am.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

August 14th 2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Well when you are 80 you wonít have your scars anymore. Honestly as long as you are not harming yourself anymore, how you view that experience is up to you. Honestly I value every experience that I have, because when it is done and over with, I am that much stronger and more knowledgeable. So I can understand how you feel when you say you donít regret what you did. And you donít have to. But I do think it is healthy for you to understand that self harm is an unhealthy activity, that I think is what should be gained from overcoming self harm, that and a sense of self worth and respect for oneís own body.
Once I get a scar they don't go away at all...I still have scars from when i was like 3 so when im 80 I probley still will have them. I do understand that self-harm is unhealthy...I haven't cut in 2 years but i still don't have self worth and respect for my own body well maybe for my body but i'm still working on the self-worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiLeigh View Post
I agree with you. Though this opinion we share is bias because we have or are self harming, where as your g-ma hasn't.
I like my scars, like you they remind me of the times I've been through. I can remember the excuses for each one, it reminds me that I haven't died yet, and that I can hold on still, does that make sense? I hope it does.
I think in the future that I won't change this opinion, my past and this period of me self harming is shaping me into who I will be in the future, my past has made me who I am today. I don't regret anything or I wouldn't be who I am.
Yes it tottally makes sence to me.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

Last edited by Lizzie; August 14th 2009 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Merge

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I've been thinking - August 14th 2009, 05:16 AM

I agree with you to an extent. I mean I don't regret where I have been in life (self-harm included) because it made me who I am and it kind of allowed me to find me. However, I do regret the scars that I have and I regret that I don't feel comfortable wearing short sleeves. I regret that I will probably never get a tan again. But, would I change it I don't think so because if I did I don't think I would be as good as a person and I don't think I would have found myself.

However, I know that it's not a good way to cope and I wish that I was better at coping with certain things(although I am getting there). In the end I think that it can be looked at as a learning experience as long as you are not still harming yourself.

But, I can understand why your grandma and others don't understand this because they have never really been there.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: I've been thinking - August 14th 2009, 05:52 AM

I know what you mean hun. The way I look at it is as an experience. Like any other experience in life its something that made you who you are today and no matter how people feel about these experiences we can't change them. Ya...I'd prefer if I never had started but wouldn't we all have? It's great to recognize that its not healthy and be able to overcome it. Good for you for doing so =)

Closed Thread