TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Slipped up again - August 19th 2009, 11:57 AM

Ok so last night for the second night in a row I gave in.

I really don't want the two slip us to turn into a relapse so tonight im going to try really hard to beat the urge.

Im going on holiday on fri for a week so I should be able to make it that whole week as i will always be doing something to distract myslef plus im sharing a room with my sister so it will be too hard to SH.

LIZ

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Slipped up again - August 19th 2009, 01:52 PM

Hey Liz,

I hope you are doing well. Slip ups do happen in the recovery process, so don't put yourself down so much. You just have to stay strong.

I suggest that you check out the sticky on alternatives in this forum. They are categorised by how you may be feeling and will provide you with different alternatives instead of hurting yourself. How does that sound? It is a really good tool to use, and I think that you should check it out. http://forums.teenhelp.org/f12-self-...ves-self-harm/

Now what is causing you to hurt yourself? What is triggering you? Maybe if you can find the answer to that, you could then try to stay away from your triggers, then in return you wouldn't have to hurt yourself.

Self harm is a coping mechanism, so maybe you just need to find another way to cope with things that are going on in your life at the moment. That's why the alternatives is also such a great list because it provides so much.

Here is a site on self harm, that may give you a bit of insite on the action: http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/injury.html it's not so bad. I would suggest taking a loot at it.

Do you have someone you can talk to? Such as a close friend, about your urges to self harm? Maybe if you had someone to talk to then you could not self harm. Talking will release any feelings you are having, and thus hopefully, stop you from self harming. I think if you feel an urge call up a friend, you don't have to tell them that you are having urges but just talk to them about anything, and hopefully that will get your mind off things.

If things start to get worse, I would suggest talking to a school counsellor, or let your mum know what is going on, this way you could get some real help with stopping this cycle. It may be something that you need. And although it's a scary thought going to tell an adult how you are feeling, it is sure worth it.

Try not to succumb to your feelings. Things will get better soon. I hope all is well for you. Please take care of yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
strong-but-weak Offline
Musical mess
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leah

Re: Slipped up again - August 19th 2009, 10:41 PM

Hi Liz;
I'm sorry that you relapsed. It's going to happen. Cutting is an addiction and it's almost impossible to break an addiction without relapsing at least once. Not that you shouldn't try.
I used to cut myself and as you're finding out it's very, very difficult to quit.
The trick I used was to draw a butterfly over where I wanted to cut myself BEFORE I got the urge to do it. I just drew it in pen and fixed it after every shower. The idea is that if you cut yoruself, you have to erase it until the cuts heal.
You are trying to set the butterfly free (the butterfly represents yourself) but every time you have to erase it because you cut yourself, you kill it. Go day by day and then week by week and eventually the urge to cut yourself with go away completely.
Of course, if it comes back then you should draw the butterfly again so that you don't cut yourself.

Cutting yourself will do nothing positive for you in the long run unless you can over come it.

You can send me a PM is you want to talk about it.

I hope I helped a bit.
Bella

And no matter what my heart [</3] says
I have to let you walk away
maybe someday

I can't fight for you anymore
But it's too hard to watch you fall.
But watching you go breaks my heart
But I want to.

Closed Thread