TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Having trouble, why? - August 23rd 2009, 09:05 AM

i'm watching Scream 3 and there is a scene where Cindy is working at a hotline for abused women. I have no idea why but it triggered me really badly. She answered and said "Woman's Help Hot Line, How may I help you." and the girl on the other line said "Umm, I don't have to tell you my name do I?" Cindy said "No. You cann tell me anything, or not tell me anything." so the girl said, "I'm 18, and I have a boyfriend, and he hits me." and i got super triggered. I called a hotline, waited on hold for a few minutes, and when the lady said hello, I couldn't speak. I froze, on the spot. and clicked the TALK button and thus ended my conversation.Can anyone give me some encouragement so I can go through a conversation with a Hot Line operator?

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Having trouble, why? - August 23rd 2009, 12:50 PM

Hey Carey! I love your name, by the way. [:

Calling hotlines is definitely not an easy thing to do. I think it takes a lot of tries, and a lot of strength to get to the point of actually talking to a stranger about your problems. But, it can be done. And I'm positive you'll be able to reach that stage, hopefully very soon. [:

Before you call the hotline, tell yourself that you are going to actually talk this time, and that you won't hang up without talking no matter how much you want to. When they answer, say something like ''I'm really nervous about this call'' or such. I'm sure they'll have heard that a million times before, and will be able to calm you into talking more. They want to help, so let them. [:

But there's no rule saying you have to call a hotline, and if it's making you uncomfortable and stressing you out, then you definitely don't have to. But if it's what you want to do, then I really do hope it helps you. [:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be just fine.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Having trouble, why? - August 23rd 2009, 01:32 PM

Hey Carey!!
It really can be very hard to call the hotline! I know how freaked you might have felt!! *hug*
The thing is, that when you want to talk about something, it may be way easier talking to a stranger than someone you are emotionally attached to. They are not going to judge you. Take comfort in that and in the fact that they are there to help you!
Maybe that might help??!!

Best of luck!
Take care!!
Hugs

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
Closed Thread