TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

i don't see it as "cutting". - August 24th 2009, 01:28 AM

when i'm just bored or something,
i will take a needle or saftey pin and pull it through my skin,
and out the other side.
it starts bleeding, but it doesn't hurt me.
it just pulls off the layers of skin.
i don't see it as cutting, but others do.
it's just an activity i do when i'm bored.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: i don't see it as "cutting". - August 24th 2009, 05:34 AM

Hey Kayla,

even if it's not exactly "cutting," it is still a form of self-harm. Self-harm is an addiction, and its urges can be expressed when we're under a lot of stress or when we're upset, but they can also come out when we're not feeling anything else in particular, like when we're bored. Self-harm can be an outlet, an unhealthy one, for things like emotional pain, but it can also become an "outlet" for other stuff, too, and it's just as important that we find alternatives for those instances, too. Maybe try pulling out a pen, instead, and drawing on yourself? I've done that when I've felt like self-harming just because I needed something to do. Drawing spirals on a piece of paper in pencil or squeezing a stress ball or bouncing a ball up and down or painting your nails are also things you could do.

Hang in there, Kayla, and take good care of yourself

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: i don't see it as "cutting". - August 24th 2009, 02:18 PM

Hey there Kayla,

I can understand why you don't see this as 'cutting' but this is a form of self harm - you don't have to particularly cut yourself in order to self harm. Self-harm is anything that you do (including scratching, burning, cutting) that causes harm to yourself. By inserting sharp objects into your skin and making yourself bleed you are harming yourself, Kayla.

It is good that you have recognised what you are doing to yourself Kayla and that you are here and talking about it, that is something to be proud of yourself for doing. It is very good that you have identified your self-harm as an activity you do when you're bored - do you think that is the sole reason why you self harm? If you can try and figure out why you self harm then you can try and find other things or coping mechanisms to use instead which are a lot safer.

Do you have any hobbies or interests that you could indulge in instead of hurting yourself? I think that now would be a good idea to try and find something that you enjoy doing (or that you already enjoy) and to try and do those things when you get bored instead of hurting yourself. You could try things such as coming online, playing a game, reading a book, listening to music, going for a walk, writing amongst other things. Hopefully these ideas could distract you from hurting yourself.

Take care.

Closed Thread