TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Becky

I really worry that I'll never stop. - August 24th 2009, 03:04 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[I'm not sure if this would be triggering, but I'll just put it just incase]

I've heard and read about people starting in their mid-teens and continue in their late 20s. I'm worried that that will be me. I don't think I'll ever stop. I'm always going to be a cutter. And I might stop for a few weeks, months or even years, but once something bad happens, or maybe nothing happens at all, I'll go back to doing it. I don't want to be this way though. I hate being this way.

Does anyone else worry about this happening?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Fluorescent_adolescent 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Vision Offline
Average Joe

Name: Aisling

Re: I really worry that I'll never stop. - August 24th 2009, 03:45 PM

You're not alone. Everyone has fears of feeling this way forever, but you won't. You just need some help and guidance to put you on the right track and help you find a way to live without cutting.

You sound like you're a strong person, I'm sure you can get through this.

Aisling xo

Just kiss me.

Send a message via MSN to Vision  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I really worry that I'll never stop. - August 24th 2009, 05:06 PM

Hey there Becky,

I don't think that it's unusual that you're worrying about this, but I don't feel as though there's any need for you to worry.

You are in control of your self harming behaviour, Becky, even though sometimes it may not feel like it. You are in control of your behaviour and you can resist with determination, support and good help. Sometimes when we're struggling with things, especially addicitions or unsafe methods of coping, it may seem as though we could never give them up. The truth is that we can give them up and we are in control. Keep reminding yourself that you are in control Becky.

Have you thought about the best way of giving up self harm and perhaps making a 'plan' when you're stable that you can look at when you're not stable and use then, I've found that can help again, even if it is just locking away/removing things you can hurt yourself with and print out a list of alternatives [there is a list here] and put it somewhere where you can easily get to it.

Take care, you can do this!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: I really worry that I'll never stop. - August 25th 2009, 03:48 AM

Hey Becky-

You will be able to get to the point where you find other ways to cope than self harming. Right now, that might not be the case, but you can control self harm once you really decide to. Sometimes it takes a while to get there, but I promise you will get there.

Is there someone you can reach out for help to? Tell them your concern, and that you want to stop, or want to get emotionally ready to stop or whatever it may be for you. Having support can really make you feel better about the entire thing.

A saying that I've heard so many times, I'm sure you have too, is "One day at a time" and this is the truth. Try not to worry about when you're 20 right now, worry about if you want to be self harming TODAY.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I really worry that I'll never stop. - August 25th 2009, 05:44 AM

Hey Becky,
Everyone who hurts themselves definitely worries about this at one point or another, so please know that you are not alone. One way to get out of this mindset, is to stay positive. The more positive thoughts you give yourself, the more positive feedback you will get. It's all baby steps. You WILL get through it. One urge at a time. And you may fall back sometimes, but always believe in yourself that you can be self harm free.

Try telling an adult in your life about your feelings. Reach out, you know? They will want to help you. I'm here for you anytime, okay? Just PM me.

Hang in there. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: I really worry that I'll never stop. - August 26th 2009, 11:42 PM

Hey Becky

You are only young at the moment, so let's not make any assumptions yet. Self Harm is a coping stratergy and if some people see it as just a coping stratergy then they will continue it into the rest of their lives. I think because you say you are worried about this, it suggests that you want to stop.

It is possible to and many people take the decision to quit self harm in their late teenage years. If you check out this thread, you will see some examples of alternatives to self harm. It's not about going cold turkey and stopping all of a sudden, as that can be very dangerous. It's about slowly replacing the self harm with positive coping stratergies.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

Closed Thread