TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): I really worry that I'll never stop. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t23763-i-really-worry-ill-never-stop/)

Fluorescent_adolescent August 24th 2009 03:04 PM

I really worry that I'll never stop.

[I'm not sure if this would be triggering, but I'll just put it just incase]

I've heard and read about people starting in their mid-teens and continue in their late 20s. I'm worried that that will be me. I don't think I'll ever stop. I'm always going to be a cutter. And I might stop for a few weeks, months or even years, but once something bad happens, or maybe nothing happens at all, I'll go back to doing it. I don't want to be this way though. I hate being this way.

Does anyone else worry about this happening?

Vision August 24th 2009 03:45 PM

Re: I really worry that I'll never stop.

You're not alone. Everyone has fears of feeling this way forever, but you won't. You just need some help and guidance to put you on the right track and help you find a way to live without cutting.

You sound like you're a strong person, I'm sure you can get through this.

Aisling xo

Prozac August 24th 2009 05:06 PM

Hey there Becky,

I don't think that it's unusual that you're worrying about this, but I don't feel as though there's any need for you to worry.

You are in control of your self harming behaviour, Becky, even though sometimes it may not feel like it. You are in control of your behaviour and you can resist with determination, support and good help. Sometimes when we're struggling with things, especially addicitions or unsafe methods of coping, it may seem as though we could never give them up. The truth is that we can give them up and we are in control. Keep reminding yourself that you are in control Becky.

Have you thought about the best way of giving up self harm and perhaps making a 'plan' when you're stable that you can look at when you're not stable and use then, I've found that can help again, even if it is just locking away/removing things you can hurt yourself with and print out a list of alternatives [there is a list here] and put it somewhere where you can easily get to it.

Take care, you can do this!

Gidig August 25th 2009 03:48 AM

Hey Becky-

You will be able to get to the point where you find other ways to cope than self harming. Right now, that might not be the case, but you can control self harm once you really decide to. Sometimes it takes a while to get there, but I promise you will get there.

Is there someone you can reach out for help to? Tell them your concern, and that you want to stop, or want to get emotionally ready to stop or whatever it may be for you. Having support can really make you feel better about the entire thing.

A saying that I've heard so many times, I'm sure you have too, is "One day at a time" and this is the truth. Try not to worry about when you're 20 right now, worry about if you want to be self harming TODAY.

hopefaithlove August 25th 2009 05:44 AM

Hey Becky,
Everyone who hurts themselves definitely worries about this at one point or another, so please know that you are not alone. One way to get out of this mindset, is to stay positive. The more positive thoughts you give yourself, the more positive feedback you will get. It's all baby steps. You WILL get through it. One urge at a time. And you may fall back sometimes, but always believe in yourself that you can be self harm free.

Try telling an adult in your life about your feelings. Reach out, you know? They will want to help you. I'm here for you anytime, okay? Just PM me.

Hang in there. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Adam August 26th 2009 11:42 PM

Hey Becky :)

You are only young at the moment, so let's not make any assumptions yet. Self Harm is a coping stratergy and if some people see it as just a coping stratergy then they will continue it into the rest of their lives. I think because you say you are worried about this, it suggests that you want to stop.

It is possible to and many people take the decision to quit self harm in their late teenage years. If you check out this thread, you will see some examples of alternatives to self harm. It's not about going cold turkey and stopping all of a sudden, as that can be very dangerous. It's about slowly replacing the self harm with positive coping stratergies.