TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dyl123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dylan

Unhappy I know I am going to... - September 4th 2009, 06:34 AM

Okay i haven't Self injured in a year in October, I know i am going to cut myself soon. I am just so scared that if my family finds out i will get pulled out of school again. And i know i am going to cut again i just need to at this point. Just somone please help me...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Raptor Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Raptor

Re: I know I am going to... - September 4th 2009, 02:01 PM

Hey
Firstly, well done for going such a long long time self harm free.
Hold that in mind, that you've been a whole year with out it.

Can I ask what's triggered you?
Fill your time with distractions. Take all the pressure away from the fear of slipping up, try not to make it a big thing. I know that sounds backwards but let me explain.
Everyone who has cut and quit is bound to have a relapse, and you need to stop worrying about that, it's ok. You've gone so long without cutting, so surley you can see that it's not impossible to achieve that again.

Some one said this to me,
Originally Posted by Stephanie
Itís really great that you did manage to get back on track and I think thatís much more important than the fact you slipped up.

I know it doesn't fit in exactly with what you're saying, but you get the idea.

I think it would be wise to talk to someone if you haven't already. Confront your demons head on. Keep busy.

We're all here for you anytime, and we'll help you get through this one day at a time.

--Raptor!

I'm making sense of shattered dreams
I want you to be proud of me.

Freedom can be frightning if you've never felt it.

Member since 2006.
Recovering self harmer - Last SH 24/08/09

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I know I am going to... - September 7th 2009, 08:18 PM

i understand that you're really going through a lot which pushes you to feel like its the only way. however, in the end SH is only going to make things worse.. try doing something else that feels good, like maybe watching a comedy , or anything which basically is healthy and helps you feel better ( i know what i said might sound absurd, but the truth is that it really works to maybe turn your feelings around ).

And your family probably wont do any really drastic action that makes you feel really bad in any way, because i believe that they hold real concern for you just remember that there's other better alternatives that're healthier and better.

remember, we're all available to talk to and listen i know i am.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: I know I am going to... - September 7th 2009, 09:05 PM

Hey

I think its great that you went so long without self harming; you should be proud of yourself for that. Self harm is difficult to stop and any amount of time self harm free is an achievement- even if it is just a day or even an hour! Try not to think of it like "I know I am going to cut soon" because that kind of mindset makes it more likely that you will end up self harming than if you thought something like "I really want to self harm right now but I am going to try my best not to". If you really don't want your friends and family to find out then they don't have to. You might want to check out the alternatives thread [click here] when you want to self harm- its really helpful!

Take care,
Jen

PM // VM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I know I am going to... - September 7th 2009, 10:04 PM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you have gone so long without self-harm; I know how hard that must have been and the fact that you made it so long shows what a strong person you are.

I know at times the urge can be unbearable but you can make it through it. You went this long without it so you can go even longer. One of the best ways to make it through an urge is to use the alternatives (http://forums.teenhelp.org/f12-self-...ves-self-harm/) I know that sometimes it seems like the alternatives don't work but that is only because your body wants the self harm so give the alternatives time and they should work.

Something I was wondering is what is driving this urge? What has triggered you so badly that you feel as though you need to cut? I know that sometimes things get more stressful so maybe if you could work out what is going on behind your urge to cut you won't want to cut as badly?

Lastly and this is probably the most important thing; if you do slip up remember that that is okay. Sometimes slip ups happen. They suck but they do not make you a failure and with time you will be able to pick yourself up from the slip up and move on.

You will be okay so just hang in there and if you ever need anything please feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dyl123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I know I am going to... - September 9th 2009, 04:50 AM

The thing that triggers me is that my dad started drinking again. He is an alcoholic... and i dont have anything else to turn to. I already scratched myself...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I know I am going to... - September 9th 2009, 04:55 AM

then maybe you should talk to him when he's sober. i understand how people on alcohol can turn unpredictable.

try talking to him first and we'll see how things work out. and no matter what, do not lose hope.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I know I am going to... - September 9th 2009, 05:20 AM

Hey there,

I agree with darrenboy; If it is safe for you then you should talk to your dad when he is sober and let him know about your concerns. I know how hard it can be to deal with an alcoholic loved one but sometimes confronting them can be a good thing (as long as it is safe).

Is there anyone you can talk to? A family member? A friend or another trusted adult? I know it can be hard but talking really can help in healing and it will give you something else to turn to besides the cutting.

Also, if you want, give the hotlines (http://forums.teenhelp.org/f3-general/t22-hotlines/) a try when you feel the urge. The people there can be really helpful and it might give you another release.

Lastly, keep coming on here whenever you get in urge and go into the chatroom or use helplink, livehelp, the support forums or pm one of the many members. It can help to keep your hands busy and the people on this site can be really helpful and nice.

Please hang in there and if you ever need anything please don't hesitate to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
You.are.loved Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Colleen Nesbitt

Re: I know I am going to... - September 9th 2009, 05:26 AM

Hey there,

I totally feel your pain. I've Self injured for 3 years now. For a year I was cut free, but then my father left me in September of last year, and I have been cutting ever since. It is heart breaking to go back to something after a year. I don't want that for you!! You're stronger then that!

I wish you best of luck, and be strong!!

I'm here if you need to talk!

-Colleen (You.are.loved)
  Send a message via AIM to You.are.loved  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Dyl123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I know I am going to... - September 10th 2009, 02:43 AM

Thanks everyone for the help and yes i do have a few friends i can talk to about this problem. And thanks again for everyone helping me it makes me feel like i am not a total failure. Thanks...

Closed Thread