TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
You.are.loved Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Colleen Nesbitt

I don't know what to do.. - September 10th 2009, 03:00 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i don't know how to stop...i know im going to SH soon....i need advice....im so broken inside, i just want to be a normal 17 yr old girl who doesnt have to ware a sweatshirt in summer...

Someday, when we are wiser, God will come and take us away. Take us away to the silent land.
  Send a message via AIM to You.are.loved  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
You.are.loved Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Colleen Nesbitt

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 10th 2009, 03:01 AM

sorry if this is triggering!!! I didnt mean to make it that way!! Sorry guys!!

Someday, when we are wiser, God will come and take us away. Take us away to the silent land.
  Send a message via AIM to You.are.loved  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
live.laugh.love
Regular TeenHelper

Name: cassieee.

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 10th 2009, 03:05 AM

hey(:

i know it can be really hard to stop but you can.
and don't feel like you're not normal just because you cut, we all have something... it doesn't make us weird or abnormal just human. but there are so many better ways to cope with these urges; try going for a walk, screaming into a pillow, reading, writting, singing/dancing, playing a sport, talk to a friend, text, etc. do something you enjoy that is not destructive.

and think of all of the reasons to stop; you can wear short sleeves, you won't feel guilty, friends/family that you won't hurt anymore, you'd stop damanging you're skin, etc.

trust me, i know it's hard.
it's a battle to quit but you can do this, i believe in you.
pm me if you want to talk <3

when life is in discord; praise ye the Lord

keep your faith alive.
we're not alone <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CoffeeAddict Offline
legen..wait for it..DARY
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 10th 2009, 01:19 PM

Hi Colleen,

As Cassieee said, there are so many reasons to stop cutting. I know how it feels to want to be a normal 17 year old, and I know what you are going through as I have been there myself. I always find that when I get urges, I exercise, go to the gym, write in my journal, go out with my friends for coffee and a chat, or just generally surf the net. Try going on YouTube and finding a bunch of funny videos, that sometimes helps me too.

Not cutting is very hard, but you need to be strong, for yourself. Hang in there and PM me anytime you need to talk.

Steph

Who do you carry that torch for, my young man?
Do you believe in anything?
Or do you carry it around just to burn things down?

Meet me tonight on the turnpike my darling,
where we believe in everything.
If we sweat all these debts then we're sure to drown,
so let's strap ourselves up to this engine now
with our God who we found laying under the back seat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 10th 2009, 01:30 PM

Hey Colleen,

I am sorry that you are struggling with this but I want you to know that you can overcome it. Cutting is a very hard thing to deal with but it is something that you can beat and with time you will beat it.

The other made some good suggestions about what you can do to distract yourself from cutting and here is a list of alternatives that should help when it comes to distracting yourself from cutting:

http://forums.teenhelp.org/f12-self-...ves-self-harm/

Look through that list and pick some of the things that interest you and try to use them when you get an urge. However, try to remember that your body has probably gotten used to using the self-harm so for a while it might seem like the alternatives do not work but with time they should come to work. So, do not give up on them.

Another thing you should consider doing is finding someone to talk to maybe a friend or a trusted adult. I know that talking can be hard but in the end it really helps because you will be able to get your emotions out in a more positive manner. If you do not have anyone to talk to in real life maybe you could use a hotline( http://forums.teenhelp.org/f3-general/t22-hotlines/). The people there can be really helpful and understanding.

Collen, something else that can help when it comes to quitting self-harm is figuring out the reasons behind it. Do you know what triggers you? If not maybe you could start keeping a journal or something like that. I know that keeping a journal helped me figure out my triggers which then helped me better avoid certain things. Do you think you could give that a try?

Please hang in there and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 11th 2009, 09:41 PM

Honestly, I feel the exact same way. I just want to be normal, I want to be able to wear cute clothes without covering them, I want to be able to compare my summer tan with my original whiteness without somebody seeing, assuming, joking, or even thinking about self harm!!!!! I want to have control, and I want to feel good for ONCE in my life!! I usually talk to somebody who doesn't get on my nerves, to distract myself, and to get myself in a good mood. Yesterday, I had really bad temptations at like 12AM and since I couldn't talk to anybody, I started writting a bunch of random poems. At first they were just like boring, but the more I wrote, the more personal they got. That helped me temporarally. And just remember what you s/n is...You are loved(I love that btw)!!!!!!!!!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Alyssa* Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alyssa

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 12th 2009, 04:05 AM

hey i know how u feel. i cut and i live in florida. also a 17year old girl. and i have to wear a sweatshirt
  Send a message via AIM to *Alyssa*  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 12th 2009, 04:55 AM

Hey there. I am sure right now quitting SH sounds VERY daunting, but it can be done. You have to believe in yourself and realize that you are so much better without it. It will be hard, I'm not going to sugar coat it, but if you really want to quit, you will. You have to use all of your willpower.

First, you should write a list of reasons why you should stop. 1. It's harmful 2. It's painful 3. To be able to wear short sleeves, etc. Every little reason you have! Post it somewhere where you can see it frequently.

Then, find alternatives that work for you. For example, running, reading, coming here and talking, praying, ANYTHING! For me, I just lay on my bed and promise myself that I will not get up until I feel better, and in the end I usually end up falling asleep. I recommend trying it.

Finding out what triggers you to want to SH is very important. Try and eliminate those triggers once you discover them.

Next step is to reach out. You did an amazing job coming here and telling us how you feel. Is there anyone in your life who you could tell so that you can get proper help? I know it would take a lot of courage but you can do it!

You are never, ever alone. We are here for you always. Shoot me a PM if you need anything, okay? *hugs*

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#9 (permalink)) Old
katara317 Offline
A friend to all
Not a n00b

Name: Morgan

Re: I don't know what to do.. - September 17th 2009, 07:15 AM

There r many things to do to deter you.
1. Drar red lines if ya like need the sight of blood
2. Draw a butterfly where u cut. It only lives if u don't cut. If u cut, go wash the butterfly off cuz it died
3. Hold a piece of ice in ur hand
4. Take a cold or hot shower so it hurts
5. Call a friend
6. Pm Me!
7. Journal it out. Helps so much even if ur not that kind of person
8. Doodle!
9. Wear a rubber band and snap it when u need to!
That's all I got. Hope it helps!

Closed Thread