TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
stolen_dreamer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lei

Exclamation I dont know what to do - September 10th 2009, 08:15 AM

so i think im falling between the cracks. Me and bf are having problems and i have a bunch of other issues and i went searching for alcohol in the house. There is none. And Im kinda freaking out. And it just makes me wanna cut. Like super bad. I cant even tell what i need more the alcohol or cutting. and it kills ive gotton to addicted to both that im in this situation. I dont know what to to...
  Send a message via AIM to stolen_dreamer Send a message via Yahoo to stolen_dreamer Send a message via Skype™ to stolen_dreamer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I dont know what to do - September 10th 2009, 01:23 PM

Hey Lei,

I know how hard it can be to be addicted to things like this but something that can help is to remember that neither thing really solves the problems that are causing the addiction. In the end they only make things worse.

Lei, do you have anyone you could talk to about all of this? A friend? A trusted adult? A cousin or another family member? I know it can be hard to talk but in the end it can be really helpful because you can get all the negative emotions that are causing you to want to drink and cut out instead of burying them deeper inside. If you don't have anyone to talk to maybe you could consider calling a hotline( http://forums.teenhelp.org/f3-general/t22-hotlines/) the people there can be really helpful when it comes to beating an urge and what not.

Another thing to consider is joining a group like AA(http://www.aa.org/?Media=NoFlash). If you did you might be able to find support from people in your community who are struggling with an alcohol addiction as well.

When it comes to the cutting one thing you should really consider trying is the alternatives(http://forums.teenhelp.org/f12-self-...ves-self-harm/). The alternatives are really helpful when it comes to distracting yourself from cutting. But, something I wanted to tell you was that sometimes it feels like they do not work so you have to give them time to kick in. The reason that it feels like they don't work is because your body really wants to use the cutting and the alcohol as a way to cope and so it will rebel against anything that is not that but with time it should accept the alternatives.

Lei, please hang in there and if you ever need to talk feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: I dont know what to do - September 12th 2009, 01:37 AM

Hey Lei (oh my, that rhymes if your name is pronounced how I think it is )

I realize this is after you've had a bit of a panic attack, but sometimes it's easiest to figure out things and know how to fix them after they've happened. I hope that you're doing well, and were maybe able to find some way other than drinking or cutting to find some relief. Something you can remain optimistic about is that even though it does really feel so bad to have these addictions, it is 100% possible to handle them and get past them, maybe not completely, but at least to the point where things won't be anywhere near as hard. It's good that you're looking for help. Jenna already mentioned the Alternatives thread, but I'd just like to reiterate the amazingness of the thread. It doesn't just have things to help you cope with cutting, it also has things to help you deal with anxiety and panic, which it sounds like you were having some problems with when you posted. Jenna beat me to the punch mostly She gave you some wonderful resources and I'd highly encourage you to at least give them a try. Also, as far as your boyfriend goes, talking about things is the best way of dealing with problems. If you talk about them and can't solve them, maybe he's not the best person for you. But I think if you guys are really committed to each other all you have to do is keep trying and talking about things. If you ever need anything, PM me or VM me, I'm pretty much an addict. :P

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

Closed Thread