TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

i really want to - September 13th 2009, 02:11 PM

i really want to cut myself or hurt myself in any other way possible right now..
i've gone so so so long without SHing.. but i don't see the point in me continuing that streak. coz i've so many scars already and i have to hide them no matter what probably forever coz they're too deep to fade away... and i honestly can't see why i shouldn't SH... i'm just gonna cut over the same places, hide the same places..

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: i really want to - September 13th 2009, 02:19 PM

Hi

You have done really well to go for any amount of time without self harming; you should be really proud of yourself for that! There is a point in continuing with that. The point is that you don't need to harm yourself to feel better and you are damaging yourself. There is also always a risk of infection or doing more harm than you intended.You don't like the scars that are there already so why make more? All that will do is make it show up more; scars do fade with time and maybe you will eventually be able to go without covering up. I don't know what makes you feel like you want to self harm but I promise there are other ways of dealing with that. Have you tried looking at our alternatives thread [click here]? It has lots of ways to manage feelings rather than hurting yourself.

Take care,
Jen

PM // VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Liz

Re: i really want to - September 13th 2009, 03:43 PM

Hey :]
I'm really sorry you're going through such a tough time right now. But, don't throw away all of your hard work. I know if you SHed you'd be dissapointed in yourself.

Maybe try finding another way to let out stress/anger/sadness/whatever else you feel when you want to SH. Like going for a walk, or just talking to someone on the phone. Keep yourself busy. Best of luck hunny xoxo

Be soft.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: i really want to - September 13th 2009, 07:16 PM

Hey there,

I know how hard it can be to struggle with self-harm especially when you feel as though there is no reason to not continue on with it. I know that being able to wear short sleeves one day is one big reason people like to fight the urges but, like you, I have to many cuts and they are way too deep to ever allow me to wear short sleeves again. However, there are still many reasons that I try to not self-harm and maybe those reason will help you?

One reason I use as momentum to not self-harm is my future. I try to think of myself 20 years into the future and I can't imagine myself cutting. I don't want to be cutting. If I were cutting a lot of the plans I have for myself probably wouldn't be accomplished.

Another reason I use as momentum is my nieces and nephews. I want them to be able to look up to me and if I am cutting I feel that they won't be able to. You might not have nieces and nephews so maybe you could use siblings or just your family. Your family loves you and wouldn't want you to be hurting yourself.

One other reason that keeps me from not wanting to self-harm is the fact that I don't want the wound to get infected. I also don't want to have to get stitches.

The last reason I use as momentum to not self-harm is the fact that I do not deserve to hurt like that.

I hope this helped and if you ever want to talk please feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: i really want to - September 14th 2009, 03:13 PM

sigh i did SH a bit last night.... and i know how i'm letting down myself and everyone... but i really don't want to care about that..
i'm sick of not feeling anything in life. i don't feel angry, i don't feel happy, i don't feel anything. i don't like anything, i don't like anyone and i don't dislike anything or anyone either. i feel so emotionless and all.. and i guess the idea of pain really just attracts me...
at least it's something i can feel..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Re: i really want to - September 14th 2009, 05:50 PM

Try not to feel as though you have let everyone down because you haven't at all. Self harm is so hard to give up and nobody could expect you to just stop straight away! It must be really difficult to not feel anything at all. Have you tried squeezing ice cubes or biting into a chilli/lemon etc? They give sensations without being harmful. There are lots of ideas like that in the self harm alternatives thread if you check that out.

Take care

PM // VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: i really want to - September 15th 2009, 03:05 AM

Hey,

I agree with Jen; try not to look at it as letting yourself and others down as much as self harm is a very hard habit to break and you might come upon relapses. The most important thing to do is to pick yourself up and keep on trying; don't let this relapse tear you down and keep you from trying to stop the self harm. You will beat this self harm it will not beat you.

Please hang in there and if you ever want to talk feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: i really want to - September 15th 2009, 11:35 AM

sigh i know how SH is probably a bad thing in many ppl's eyes and all, but somehow i just don't see that it's so..
i don't know why i'm posting here coz i really can't see the other side of it anyway..
and i feel like a hypocrite really, telling ppl not to cut or hurt themselves in other way coz they've to love themselves, coz i still don't see what's wrong with it? i always am careful not to get infection, i don't cut deep enough to get stitches and i hide them so well and since i don't dress skimpily, the scars are easy to hide.
sigh.. i know this is probably off topic already, but i want to die... i wanna give up on trying to make this life work. and i know i'm young and all, but i really can't see a future and i'm just so tired already at 18... it'll be so easy to just jump off a building. i'm quite the impulsive kind so i probably won't try overdosing which may not work anyway. ppl don't expect me to be a quitter and i'm tired of pretending that i'm not one..
idk.. sometimes i think i hurt myself just to stay alive. coz the pain makes me feel alive and all.
my head hurts..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Re: i really want to - September 15th 2009, 12:13 PM

Hey,

I am sorry that you are feeling like this at the moment . You went so long without self harm that shows that you can stop and live without it. You are just having a minor slip back right now, which you can pick yourself up from. Many people have slip ups along the way. But it doesn't matter that you slip up, what matters is how you move on after a slip up. You are strong and there are other ways to deal with how you feel other than self harm.

You have come this far already so why give up with life now? You might not see a future but right now you are not thinking straight and are not able to see things clearly. You do have a future and you can be anything you want to be. You can make your future how you want it to be. Your future doesn't have to be how it is right now. Don't give up because you are worth it.

Stay strong

Closed Thread