TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I_like_cheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: JJ

possibly triggering: doctors? - September 18th 2009, 04:39 AM

so this week i have to get a physical in order to do sports for my school and im afraid the doctor is going to notice my scars. is there anything i can do to hide them from a physician?? my mother has also insisted on coming to the appointment with me so i dont think i could get him to be confidential. advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
chaosfactor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mims

Re: possibly triggering: doctors? - September 18th 2009, 11:45 AM

theres certain types of makeup that you can use, but just be careful cuz some enhance the scars!, as well as that...have you tried fake tan? it depends on the colour of it, but if you want to be tanned and make scars less obvious iv been told that thats the way to go!
you could always ask for your mother to not go in, if your over 16 then she doesnt even need to be there with you, hope this helped =].
pm me anytime.
  Send a message via MSN to chaosfactor  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Finding-Hope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cassie

Re: possibly triggering: doctors? - September 18th 2009, 12:50 PM

Hey,

Unfortunately if you have scars there is not much you can do to hide them from a doctor. Like chaosfactor said, you could try putting foundation or consealer on them. Depends where your scars are, but bracelets or sweatbands may work if the scars are on your wrist.

Also, maybe you could ask your mum to wait in the waiting room? And if you're over a certain age, the doctor shouldn't have to tell your mum about the scars.

Even if the doctor does see your scars, well, that may not be such a bad thing if it means that possibly you get help for your self harm?

Good luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
katara317 Offline
A friend to all
Not a n00b

Name: Morgan

Re: possibly triggering: doctors? - September 18th 2009, 02:34 PM

Depending on where the scars are ( I'm guessing just wrist) I'd go with a sweatband. It's the best bet to hiding them. But do the fake tan as well and get started on doing it. Now I know what to do when I hav to go to the doc! Ty!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: possibly triggering: doctors? - September 18th 2009, 06:04 PM

Hi there JJ,

You may want to check out an article we have entitled 'Cover up tips'. You can find the article [here] and it has several helpful suggestions for for covering up any scars you may have, though the best type of cover-up will depend where your scars are.
However, there is also the option of talking to your doctor and being truthful if he/she does comment on your scars. A physician will not be judgemental and will only try to help you with self harm issues - you may want to consider this, JJ.
Also, if you're uncomfortable with your mother being in the room with you during your physical then you could simply ask her to leave the room or ask the physican to go through the examination in private and they should ask your mother to leave the room.

Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: possibly triggering: doctors? - September 19th 2009, 04:20 AM

I agree - you have every right to ask your mom to leave the room, and the doctor should help you out there. It's probably a good idea to tell the doctor anyway, though, because he/she can see if any cuts or scars need tending to, as well as offer support for you when you need it. And anything the doctor finds out is strictly kept between you and him: he cannot tell your mom by law.
Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. =]
My doctor didn't tell my mom at all; he was very understanding and he even offered me his business card (for the phone number) so I could call him any time of day or night when I was triggered.
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: possibly triggering: doctors? - September 19th 2009, 04:39 AM

JJ,

The thread Stephanie posted w/ cover up tips could help you out. There are plenty of ideas there. But honestly...if your doctor is going to notice they'll probably notice anyways. Try not to stress about it hun. Doctors have seen it ALL and it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Doctors can be helpfull when it comes to this stuff...if you feel you can be honest about them that's definitely the best way to go..Also, if you'd like for your mom to wait outside that's totally understandable. Maybe just explain to your Mom before hand that you would prefer that she waited outside and that its not personal just you feel you want to do these things on your own As long as your Mom waits outside they really aren't supposed to break confidentiality so it will stay between you and the doctor.

Hope this helped a bit. Hopefully everything will go well for you <3

Closed Thread