TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Angry STUPID SCARS!!! - September 20th 2009, 04:22 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I have SH scars on my forearms that I thought would have faded a little more by yesterday, but they didn't, so I had to wear a long sleeved shirt under mysoccer jersey, and I was midfeild(which I'm usually NOT) and I had to run a LOT, and I'm not a good runner, and I was litterally exhausted and I was sweating SOOOOO much and it sucked! Then the second half I was goaly, and I knew I wouldn't be near anybody who'd see my arms, so I took off my undershirt, and then the ball hit my forearm and the scars got bright red! UGH I HATE STUPID SCARS!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: STUPID SCARS!!! - September 21st 2009, 12:19 AM

Honestly, most people won't say anything to you or even notice. They don't want to believe that that's what the scars are really from, because most people don't expect these issues to affect the people close to them. Especially if you're in the middle of a soccer game, people aren't going to pay as much attention to your arms as you think they will.
If they do say something, you can just make up some excuse like: "Oh, it's just a scrape." or "My friend got a new kitten." And leave it at that. The key is to be confident and act like it's no big deal.
Though, the only real solution is to stop cutting. I know it sounds scary and impossible, but it's really not. You can do it. And eventually your scars will fade so they're not so noticeable.
Best of luck to you.
Hang in there.
Hannah

(#3 (permalink)) Old
rat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Harriet

Re: STUPID SCARS!!! - September 21st 2009, 12:25 AM

I agree with Hannah, it's amazing what people don't see when they don't want to.
Hang in there...they will fade...do you use any products on them to help them fade? I use bio-oil and cocoa butter and the combination does work, it takes time though. If not, some waterproof make up is always good.
If none of this helps then you can resort to the laughing-it-off method..exhibit A:
My mum (today): Oh you've got another cut, how bizarre
Me: haha, yeah, it's from when tried to get something down the side of my bed, there's so much rubbish down there...
Hope I helped, I hate scars too...PM me anytiime
xxx
p.s. soccer is cool

I hope for nothing
I fear nothing
I am free
  Send a message via MSN to rat  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: STUPID SCARS!!! - September 21st 2009, 01:05 AM

I don't believe that when people see scars, they automatically assume it's from self-injury. Firstly, people see what they want to; and frankly, people don't want to assume that someone they care about it hurting. Secondly, most people aren't even aware that self-injury is a problem. Lastly, most people won't even ask. And if they do, like Hannah said, you can give some excuse and 90% of the time, they will believe it.
As far as actually healing the scars, Mederma is a miracle worker. It costs about $20 a tube, but you have to compare it to surgical fixes, which can get into the thousands. It lasts a long time and it's far more effective than cheaper scar creams. Give it a shot if you're feeling self-conscious.
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: STUPID SCARS!!! - September 21st 2009, 01:48 PM

I agree with everything said above, as well as this lovely little tip :

Aside from the Mederma stuff that Marlie was talking about (if you can't get it, etc) You can use any cream with vitamin E or K in it, and that will work really well. I have this vitamin E stuff that my mom used on a scar when she had surgery and you can barely see the scar she's got now, and I've been using it on my old scars and they're going away quite nicely

Hope you're okay.
Jenn

Closed Thread