TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maryann

has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 25th 2009, 09:51 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Ok in Biology we are talking about viruses and things and my teacher tells us how we can get viruses through open cuts and talks bout stuff with our blood and all.. I find it really triggering and i find it hard to just sit there and keep listening to stuff about blood and cuts.. I get a really bad urges to cut to see my own blood when she talks about it..
Has ne 1 ever had this had???

Proud Pentecostal Girl

RIP big brother
pfc. Bradley Shane Coleman
9/22/84-10/29/08
my class ring. orange ribbon 4 si awarness!!!! i love my ring!!
  Send a message via MSN to butterflygirl_13 Send a message via Yahoo to butterflygirl_13  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 25th 2009, 10:08 PM

Yes. Whenever a friend talks about a wound they got somehow, or I watch medical shows and see the blood, I get the same urge.

If it really bothers you, tell your teacher talking about blood and cuts makes you queasy or uneasy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 25th 2009, 10:11 PM

Yeah that happens to me. Today, these kids on my bus were like, "look at this really old scar I have" and one girl's happened to be on her forearm and the other's happened to be near her thigh...and it REALLY triggered me. Stuff like that usually happens to me when I hear about cuts or scars and sometimes(not as often) blood.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 25th 2009, 10:12 PM

Maryann--

I would say that most people who've had problems with self-injury have dealt with triggers like you're talking about. The thing with them is that you can't ever completely avoid triggers. There will be things that trigger you, and something that's a huge part of getting past self-injury is being able to handle them. It stinks when it's in a class situation so you can't really just get up and leave. I think it'd be really important for you to try to find something you can do during class or while your teacher is talking to distract you from the subject. I think it would be a great idea to look at the Alternatives to Self Harm sticky (found HERE). Then I'd go through that and find everything that you could do while in class, even if you don't think it's necessarily something that would help you. A lot of the time, things you don't think would help can actually end up helping a lot. Another thing to think about is that you're probably not going to be talking about viruses a whole lot longer, so you won't have to deal with this for much more time. If it really becomes a problem, though, it might be a really good idea to try to talk to your teacher about it. You don't have to tell her it triggers you because you self-harm, you could try saying that it upsets you or something. She may be able to do something about the way she speaks about things.

Also, tomorrow night there'll be 3 discussions in the chat room about self-harm. I'm one of the leader/facilitator people for the one taking place from 8pm-9pm PDT (USA), and there are also discussions at 8pm-9pm EDT (USA) and 8pm-9pm BST (UK). You might want to see if you can stop by for any of those, as there maybe some things that could help you overcome your self-injury.

Best of luck to you, and if you need anything or have any questions just PM me.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 25th 2009, 10:52 PM

yes. recently in Biology class my teacher told us we would be doing tests on potatoes and gave us these razor blades to cut them up with. It was all I could do to resist stealing one, and I remained triggered for the rest of the day.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 26th 2009, 01:22 AM

No, not with Biology anyways, however I had this problem in Spanish the other day. we were discussing the verb cortarse which is to cut in Spanish and yo corto is I cut so yeah...it got me thinking about it. I will probably have this problem when I get to that unit of Biology...I was sitting there wanting to sh and the urge was so strong...

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: has ne one else ever had this problem? - September 26th 2009, 06:53 PM

Yes anytime any1 talks about how they fell over and cut there knee or anytime in science lessons and personal development wen unhappiness/depression, cuts , EDs or even if someone says knife I get triggered

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
Closed Thread