TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Apathy Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Can this kill me? - September 28th 2009, 08:14 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Well, I don't have a habit of self harming on a regular basis, but every week or so, when I get really depressed, I usually go all out. The last time I cut, I ended up with 40-50 cuts on my legs and had to throw away my boxers the next day because of the blood stains. I was just wondering if I should be scared?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Can this kill me? - September 28th 2009, 02:13 PM

Hey there. [:

I marked this as triggering, for the record, just in case. To be honest, I don't know if this behavior could be fatal. I do know, however, that it's not healthy for you and that there are definitely more healthy and constructive behaviors. Self harm is an addiction, and the longer you let it go on for, the harder it's going to get to stop. On that note, have you seen our self harm alternatives thread, which can be found here? The reason I like this list is because it's divided into section based on how you may be feeling. So, you mentioned that you start feeling really depressed - there are some specific alternatives to that (as opposed to if you were feeling angry or something else).

Do you have any idea what triggers your depression? If you want to talk about that or whatever, please feel free - my ears are open. [: Lastly, just make sure that you're taking care of yourself - check out the First Aid Information thread if you get the chance. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with all of this. I'll be rooting for you.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Can this kill me? - September 28th 2009, 03:01 PM

Hi, I read your post and while I'm not a professional or anything, I had to say something.

As Katrina said, whether or not it kills you, it's not good for you, and there are many other options. You can find some ideas here: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

Now, as for whether it could or not, I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that, yes, there's a chance you could cut too deep on accident, hit a major artery in your leg and bleed to death. I'm not sure what the chances are, but I believe they are high enough for you to think about and really consider the next time you cut.

Closed Thread