TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nakushita Offline
Rarely Behaved
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy can't cope - September 30th 2009, 01:40 AM

when i want to cut at school, i usually draw on my arms or my hands. this keeps occupied from wanting to cut and i focus better when i'm doing something with my hands. unfortunately, my mom hates me drawing on myself. what do i do? i've tried other ways to not think about cutting, but there aren't any i can do during school that take up enough of my attention.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: can't cope - September 30th 2009, 01:54 AM

Okay, I assume since you said you draw on yourself, you could draw/write in a notebook. There are a lot of alternatives to self harm, and I've listed just a few. You can find a longer, much more extensive list here: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

The ones I believe could work for your situation:
Pay attention to your breathing (breath slowly, in through your nose and out through your mouth)
Draw a picture of what is making you feel like hurting yourself.
Count up to 500 or 1000
Scribble on a piece of paper until the whole page is colored in.
Write out lyrics to your favorite song
Draw a comic strip
Trace your hand on a piece of paper; on your thumb, write something you like to look at; on your index finger, write something you like to touch; on your middle finger, write your favorite scent; on your ring finger, write something you like the taste of; on your pinky finger, write something you like to listen to; on your palm, write something you like about yourself.
Make a list of your positive character traits
Free write (Write down whatever you're thinking at that moment, even if it doesn't make sense)
Write a letter to someone telling them how you feel (but you don’t have to send it if you decide not to)

I know the first one won't occupy your hands, but I hope this list helps. If you even need to talk, feel free to PM me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: can't cope - September 30th 2009, 03:44 AM

What I do is get a piece of paper and rip it up into little pieces and I try to get them the same size and everything. Sometimes I write what I'm feeling on it and then rip it up. I've never had a teacher or anyone say anything to me except maybe "what are you ripping up?" so I just said "some random paper." It occupies my hands and gives me something to focus on.

Doodling is good too.
Best of luck! Take care.
Hannah

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

Closed Thread