TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 2nd 2009, 10:14 PM

People are soooo stupid and insensitive. For some reason, sh ALWAYS comes up amongst the kids durring sixth period, and they're always making fun of it saying how they're sooo "emo" and they're gonna go "slit their wrists"(I hate that saying...) and it's just SOOO annoying, and they say this really really triggering stuff about it, that I just don't even want to say, because if I do, I'll be even more triggered! It's just not fair, people should be more open about other people's problems! It's really starting to bother me! And, in my math, a few of my friends who don't know about me shing always make fun of cutters and "emos" and once my friend spotted some of the scars and said, "WTF IS WITH YOU'RE WRISTS?! ARE YOU EMO?! YOU CUTTER!" And I was just like, "No... IDK what that's from...it's probably from my dog. He can get pretty violent..." Then the kid next to me was like, "Yeahhhhh righttttt." And they like made fun of me for the remainder of the class! I mean, I feel good that they didn't have to experience this, and I know that's why they don't know anything about it...but I just wish they could be more sensitive!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 2nd 2009, 10:19 PM

Yeah, people are definitely insensitive to self harmers. My brothers often joke about it, to the point I won't mention this site in front of them because they'll make fun of the "emo kids". It's really annoying how close-minded and mean they can be.

As hard as it is, the best thing you can do is ignore them. I know it's hard, but saying anything will simply feed the fire. If you can, try reading a book or playing a handheld game and ignore them. At least they'll leave you out of it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 2nd 2009, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I usually just ignore them, or change the subject, but not in an awkward way... But nobody really knows I do it, but for some reason, every year kids seem to b e more and more obsessed with how "funny" it is! It's really annoying. But thank you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Amp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 2nd 2009, 11:24 PM

Everything gets made fun of.

Last edited by Prozac; October 3rd 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Unnecessary rudeness.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_mind Offline
counsellor @ positive mind
Average Joe

Name: chantel

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 2nd 2009, 11:40 PM

When i worked at a primary school thats excatly how the kids thought of it but they didnt understand why people do it and the hurt these people go through everyday. try not to let it get to you i know thats easier said then done .
  Send a message via MSN to Beautiful_mind Send a message via Yahoo to Beautiful_mind  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 3rd 2009, 11:45 AM

oh gosh, people can be so insensitive when it comes to self harm. i know it's hard to, but really just try and ignore them. i doubt they're doing it specifically to be horrible to you.. they just sound like a bunch of immature kids who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 3rd 2009, 03:37 PM

Hey there Megan,

I understand what you're trying to say about people being insensitive towards the subject of self harm and people who self harm. It can be awful to be the victim of bullying in anycase, Megan. I'm sorry that people have had such an unsupportive reaction towards your scars and that they have been so rude and immature about the whole situation. Take confidence in knowing that you're not the one in the wrong - it is those people who are being rude, immature and uneducated, not you, Megan. It's completely up to you whether you want to ignore them or try to tell them how you feel/educate them about the topic.

Take care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 11th 2009, 03:08 AM

Ugh, I know the feeling. My friends - even the ones who know about my self-harm - are pretty insensitive. I remember one time my friend and I were mucking around, having a pen fight, I think, and she's like 'Oh, I'll stab you with this' (joking, of course), and I said (also joking), 'Fine, go ahead', and she's like 'Wait, you might enjoy it'. I don't know why, but it hurt. And even know most of my friends know, they still make jokes about 'emos' and cutting, and it gets to me sometimes.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that your situation is pretty common, you should ignore them. Hard as it is to believe, I don't think their intent is to be mean to you. They just don't know any better.

I know it can be hard, though. *hugs*. Just hang in there and try not to let them get to you.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 11th 2009, 03:45 AM

I definately agree with you. Some people just don't realize the hurt they are doing and are very insensitive. I know it's hard but just keep ignoring them. Do you have anyone to talk to like a counselor in your school? Maybe once you overcoming your SH you can do something to change the future. Like spread awareness and let others know how much it really hurts. If you are able to do this then you will be helping lots of others for this not to happen to them in the future. Hope this helps!
Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 11th 2009, 10:07 PM

Yeah... I agree with you. People suck. And the bad thing is, even some of my friends who know that I struggle with self harm and depression etc. make jokes about that sort of thing or make stupid comments. I've just learned to shrug it off and not let it get me too down. They just don't know what they're talking about. And you're right, it's good that they don't.

I agree with what others have said- the only thing to do is either to ignore them, or try to let them know how they're being hurtful. Either way, you can do it.

With hope,
Hannah

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephan Nicholi Hepl

Re: PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUPID! - October 12th 2009, 01:30 PM

I get what u mean. It makes me really uncomfortable when people talk about Sh like that. But what really pulls my chain is you tube. I have seen so many videos on you tube with kids makeing fun at people like us. You think the you tube officals would have enough sense not to allow those video. people are just so ignorant
  Send a message via Yahoo to StephanNicholiHepler  
Closed Thread