TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Liz [: Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Liz

Angry ANGRY. - October 11th 2009, 09:34 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I finally told my best friends about my self harm, and they went with me into our band director's office in the morning last Thursday, before school. After they told him about it, he called down the councelor. I wanted my friends to go with me, because I was so scared. But she wouldn't let them come in with me. I was scared out of my mind. But by then I was already crying my eyes out, and she had me tell her everything that's been going on, and she told me I was just doing it for ATTENTION!!!
I was so effin mad! I told her my whole life story basically, she made me show her my cuts, and she said,
"You really should just stop! Not everyone is as smart about this as I am! I know you are just doing it for attention so you need to stop. You are just putting other cutters to shame, and you should be ashamed of yourself. You are making other feel guilty, so stop...NOW. I'm going to get the child protective services involved if this non-sense behavior continues!"

I'm still SO MAD. It took me a couple of skipped classes to stop swearing and cutting in the bathroom. >_>

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_mind Offline
counsellor @ positive mind
Average Joe

Name: chantel

Re: ANGRY. - October 11th 2009, 09:39 PM

I am wondering why she thought you were doing it for attention? counsellors are there to support people. If she was no help trying talking to your family about it or even your local doctor. they can refer you to someone that you can talk to. Stopping cutting is a very hard thing its not something that you can just do but it can be done. i used to cut and i haven't in over 3 years. pm me anytime ok
  Send a message via MSN to Beautiful_mind Send a message via Yahoo to Beautiful_mind  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: ANGRY. - October 11th 2009, 09:48 PM

I'm so sorry about that. That's just AWFUL. It makes me want to use some really obscene words right about now haha. But for real, screw her. That's just ridiculous. You know that you're not just doing this for attention. The people who do that are so obvious about it and you aren't one of them.

Congratulations for telling your friends though! That's so awesome. Now that you did that, could you go to them or back to your band director and talk about what happened with your counselor? That's not right, and you shouldn't have to deal with it by yourself. She's just ignorant in the worst way. She's ignorant but she thinks that she isn't. I'm so sorry about all this. I hope you can get the help you need from someone who isn't just hurtful. You're so strong for being able to tell anyone in the first place! The first time you tell someone is the worst, but it gets easier. You've proven to yourself that you can reach out and that you want to get help, and that's so amazing.

The first therapist that I went to said kind of the same stuff. She also made hand motions when she talked about cutting and said something about how "teenage girls sometimes cut" or something like that and it was just really disrespectful. It left me pretty traumatized. But now I've been with my new therapist for over a year and she's like a part of my family. It's just like any other relationship. You have to find the right fit.

Best of luck to you. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. Let me know if you ever need to talk about anything. You can always PM me.

With hope,
Hannah

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: ANGRY. - October 13th 2009, 05:23 AM

To put it plainly, fuck that stupid bitch, she has no idea what she's talking about.

Go talk to someone else about a real counsellor, and explain that this woman was no help. I'm sorry you had to deal with her, I've had a pretty stupid therapist before and I know it's incredibly frustrating and unpleasant.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: ANGRY. - October 13th 2009, 06:17 AM

Thats CRAZY!!!! Thats really insane, honestly! I think you should talk to your parents about it, and also tell them about that so called "counsellor", im sure you could complain about that, as thats not what counsellors are supposed to do?

Closed Thread