TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

A thought... - January 27th 2009, 04:29 AM

Well..okay, basically, last night, despite me going almost a month without, I slipped up and burned again..
I felt like crap, to put it lightly, but my girlfriend gave me a good idea. She told me to write a list of alternatives.
I know this might sound very much like the thread thats stickied, but hear me out. Basically, me and her sat and she helped me come up with alternatives, things I enjoy, not just a list of generic things, things that will distract me.

And it helped...

I mean, I guess I'm still filled with a degree of self-loathing for not being strong enough to get rid of every last lighter I have, I mean, I don't smoke anymore, so I really don't have a legitimate reason for still having them, but I feel I'm keeping one 'just in case'...anyways, tangents aside, making that list did help.

I pinned it to the wall beside my computer, the place where I spend more time than anywhere else, and it does help...

I just thought I'd share this with people here, and I hope it helps...

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Claire Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Claire

Re: A thought... - January 27th 2009, 05:52 AM

Thats great, it really is. I know the sticky is there to help, but like you said people need to make their OWN with things specific to them. Don't be mad at yourself for still keeping lighters and things, try and focus on the positives and the big steps forward you are taking. I haven't harmed in years and I still hate myself everytime I see my scars and when I catch other people looking at them. Your girlfriend sounds lovely for helping you that way, your very lucky. All the best to you x x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Katieee Offline
23/03/08
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: A thought... - January 27th 2009, 11:30 AM

It's OK to slip up. Everyone slips up. It wouldn't be recovery if we didn't have slip ups, well done on going nearly a month that's amazing!

I'm glad you have a list of things to do instead of cutting. I also have a list of things I do when I feel the need to hurt myself. Apart from it's a mental list not wrote on paper. Stay strong!

"You'll always be my hero, even though you lost your mind."
  Send a message via MSN to Katieee  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: A thought... - January 27th 2009, 06:34 PM

Ahh, yeahh, normally I wouldn't feel safe writing it down, but I live away from my family and my flatmates rarely if ever come in, and I've got tons of things on my walls. the list is also unlabelled and messily scrawled so it blends in...
Gah, its the only reason I'd be comfortable putting such a thing up there...

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Re: A thought... - January 27th 2009, 07:05 PM

I second...or perhaps third? a pat on the back for you! The first month was most definetly the hardest for me. well, the first week was the hardest, but during the first month I felt worse and worse without harming and then worse and worse about wanting to harm...but by the second month rolled around, things did start getting easier...not significantly, or even noticably at the time, but looking back it was a tad bit easier. SO, well done!

I like this idea you have of a personalized list. I know I've looked at the generic lists people create and think to myself, "don't like that, wouldn't do that, NO FREAKING WAY am I ever gonna do that...etc, etc, etc." but coming up with my own ideas for avoiding actions I would later regret did help...and continues ot help me.

Slipping up....I'm working on finishing up my first whole year, attempt number 6. I started harming when I was in 8th grade, 2000, and it's now 2009....over the last 6 years I've really been making the effort ot stop...and I do screw up on occassion. The thing is, each time i screw up, I am just that much more determined to keep going all the way through the next time around. So, don't get too terribly down about messing up this time...there'll probably be other times (I hope not for your sake) and each time gives you the opportunity to try to quit for good with renued vigor.

Go for it...you can do it!

I'm around if you wanna talk.

~Anna~
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
Closed Thread