TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Turbo Z3ro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cutting - March 18th 2010, 05:41 AM

I'm not sure where else to turn, so I have come here;

A few days ago, I started cutting my forearm. What started out with one simple cut turned into eighteen over the course of three days. All of these cuts are not very deep and the ones made a few days ago are already starting to disappear. (Used sanitary tool and have a damp cloth that I hold on it after, in case you were wondering)

The thing that I am scared of is that I want the cuts deeper and I always have the feeling that I need more of them. Even as I am typing it, the thought is going through my head.

I have been worrying a lot about university next year and I don't have many close friends as I am a loner type of person. I don't want to talk to anyone that I know about this (nobody knows that I cut myself) so I have come here.

I'm not sure what my motivation is to continue cutting, I just know that I can not stop on my own. I just love the pain and seeing the marks that are left on my arm, it makes me feel powerful and a lot better about myself in a weird way. The thing is, every time I look in the mirror in the morning, I want the cuts more spread out; I usually make more the following night.

I don't think I have the strength to actually kill myself by doing this, but I can see it getting really out of control. I don't want any of my family to know that I do this, but I am pretty sure I need help. Should I get professional help? How do I break the news that I may need a therapist to my mom? What can I do to get rid of this feeling? Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have been in therapy a couple years back because I was going to start cutting myself, but I was interrupted when I was about to begin.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mercicle. Offline
Angels fall first. <3

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Cutting - March 18th 2010, 06:23 AM

You're doing the right thing by posting here. It shows that you really want to stop. To acknowledge that you need help, and that you can't stop cutting on your own, is a very brave thing to do.
I would recommend that you do seek professional help. I know you said you don't want your parents to know, but sometimes being honest and open is the best idea. I'm sure your mother would appreciate it if you just told her that you need a therapist, and, if she asks, explain why. Or, you could just say that you need a therapist, but you're not comfortable talking to her (your mother) about why this is so.

When you feel the urge to cut, distractions are usually good. You'll find a list on this site, and I hope they help.

The key to quitting self-harm for good is to figure out why you need it, and replace it with more healthy coping methods. Perhaps you could start thinking about this now, even before seeing a professional?

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you need. = ]

paper is dead without words,
ink idle without a poem,
all the world dead without stories,
without love and disarming beauty.

3.6.14 | 19.8.14

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Cutting - March 18th 2010, 06:29 AM

Hey, and welcome.

You do know your reasons for cutting, since you basically acknowledged them...
Quote:
I just love the pain and seeing the marks that are left on my arm, it makes me feel powerful and a lot better about myself in a weird way.
So knowing that will help you figure out how to stop.

You may want to check out the Alternatives to Self-Harm, and maybe you can find some things that work for you.

Cutting CAN become addictive, so better to nip it while its a new thing.

Closed Thread