TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
heh97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

the urge to cut - April 30th 2010, 07:35 AM

I cut and burn myself. Not deep enough to die but enough to feel the pain. I have been doing it for so long I will use anything i can get my hands on. Recently i found the blade that almost killed me and i feel this strange urge to do it again. How do I stop cutting once and for all? How do I get rid of the urge?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: the urge to cut - April 30th 2010, 10:45 AM

First off well done for posting, it's the first step.

Self harm is such an addictive habit, as you've already realized.

Have you ever tried looking at the alternatives thread?.

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

next time you feel the urge to cut, just keep trying different alternatives, until the urge has gone.

I'm not going to lie, recovering is hard, but it do-able. Maybe you could try telling a parent, or a teacher at school, or even a friend, just to get a support circle, because you most probably will need someone to fall back onto. Another thing you could do is go to your doctors and have a chat, see if they can refer you to a counselor, where you can talk through everything you're feeling, and the reasons behind your cutting, because until you've worked that out, it's going to be even harder to stop.

Some people find that reducing the amount they cut gradually over time, can help them, other people find that just stopping all together is more beneficial for them. Just don't keep putting it off, something i used to do, was like one last cut then i'll stop tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes, you have to be strict with yourself and say "i'm going to stop today!" and you could even write reasons why you'd like to stop and keep it with you, such as "i'll be able to wear short sleeves when its hot" "not having to be anxious about people seeing my cuts" etc

Take care x

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Ive been in dark places, Ive survived and learned and become stronger".

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: the urge to cut - April 30th 2010, 06:10 PM

Hey there!

Welcome to TeenHelp!

It's great that you're taking the step, and reaching out to find help to stop hurting yourself. Like Lauren said it is a hard thing to do, but with determination you can stop doing it once and for all. What I found helped was Briana helped me get rid of most of my tools. So thats what you should try and do next, it will make things easier in the long run. Then find something that you enjoy doing, and when you get the urge to hurt yourself, do that. You may have a couple slips and falls along the way, but just get right back up and try again. I never thought that I would ever stop, but I'm now at 4 months free. So it is possible.

Good luck
Brittany

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
heh97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: the urge to cut - April 30th 2010, 09:12 PM

i cant tell my parents. but i told my best guy friend. he took the blade and threw it away. he has been helping me to stop. and after i wrote this post i did end up cutting my wrists and i regret it so much.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
heh97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: the urge to cut - April 30th 2010, 09:13 PM

the reason i cant tell them is because they said if i do it again they will put me in a mental hospital

Closed Thread