TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lady Luck Offline
luck be a lady
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

I dont know - February 14th 2009, 08:29 PM

I dont know if this counts as self harm but whenever I get stressed out or my family is fighting again I dig my nails into my wrist. Usually this leaves welts and bruises on my skin for a few days. Sometimes though I get some blood and go through the skin. Earlier this week I went to the doctor because my right wrist(the one I dont dig my nails into) was having pain and he saw the scabs and welts when he was comparing the wrists. I managed to make him believe it was from sharp pencils in my backpack ( I have a messy backpack and a need for all my pencils to be extra sharp I dont know why) Its started to be scary though and I have had some close calls before. I want to stop but I cant I just keep doing it, I have even used a razor a few times. I dont want people to know though I cant talk to my guidance counselor because even though they respect privacy in other cases my friends who have told about their problems with self harm were sent to the psychiatric hospital and their parents told. I dont know what to do. I am scared.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: I dont know - February 14th 2009, 09:01 PM

Hey Lucy-

Yes, this is considered self harm. Causing any harm to yourself is usually self harm.

Why don't you go back to your doctor and tell him/her what's up. They don't always send you straight to the psychiatric hospital. I went once, and it was because I was extremely suicidal. I had told about my self harm before, and going to a psychiatric hospital was not even mentioned. It would be very unreasonable for them to send you to the hospital for the self harm, and the type of self harm, you have.

For now, look at the alternatives and distractions thread which are stickied at the top of this forum. When you feel yourself wanting to self harm, calm down, breathe and do something else so that you don't hurt yourself.

If you continue to let this progress it will grow worse and worse. Self harm is an awful addiction to have, and you want to stop it at it's earliest stages. Many people start off with scratching and so forth, and move up to cutting with objects or burning or more dangerous methods of self harm. You don't want to be one of those people.

Good luck. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: I dont know - February 15th 2009, 07:07 PM

What Maria said is right, causing harm to yourself even if it isnt cutting or burning is self harm, if your doctor has already noticed the marks on your wrist go back and tell him, and try to get out of self harm before it consumes you. if you feel like you cant talk to him face to face, maybe write it him a letter and give it to him? or maybe talk to a close friend?
take care x

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#4 (permalink)) Old
findingmyway Offline
Not a n00b

Name: noureen

Re: I dont know - February 15th 2009, 07:28 PM

hey lady luck. i can relate to your issue. i used to do the same but now i dont. well actually as of last night i dont. everytime something goes wrong i just start typing or writing about how i feel and whats wrong and i ussually end it with a good note. like for example last night i was really depressed and frustrated with my mum and my tutor because i had worked so hard on my hw but hadnt finished it and they got pissed at me and critisized my work so i wrote about how no acknowledges the work i do and they only focus on my flaws so i ended with telling myself that yes i am not perfect but i have the capability of correcting my mistakes. do you get it? pm me anytime ok?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lady Luck Offline
luck be a lady
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Re: I dont know - February 15th 2009, 09:35 PM

Ok the main problem bout telling my doctor is that I go to a chiropractor (works with the structure of the body not the mental/disease related problems) and this was only my third visit in a few years.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: I dont know - February 15th 2009, 10:02 PM

That's okay
can't you go back to your doctor anyway?
or maybe your school guidance counciller?
xx

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

Closed Thread