TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sleepwalker Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,952, Level: 14 Points: 9,952, Level: 14 Points: 9,952, Level: 14

Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 06:42 AM

I'm just wondering how everyone here feels about "emo" jokes?

My little sister accused me of being "emo" when I accidently cut my arm today. She was making a joke out of it, but she doesn't know that I really do cut myself on purpose. It made me feel terrible though. And it was awkward when she laughed at her joke, and I didn't laugh in return. I felt sick to my stomach. I mean, I consider it an actual problem, and I'm not proud of it. And when people make jokes about it, it makes me both angry and sick. They have no idea what they're talking about. It's not funny.

So far, no one knows I cut. And I wonder if they'd make the same jokes if they knew or if they themselves cut... Personally, I will/have never made jokes about it. I don't think it's a subject to be taken lightly.

How do you feel when you hear someone make jokes/comments about it though? Do you say anything to them about it? Do you make jokes yourself?

Just wondering if I'm the only one who finds this a problem.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 08:55 AM

I can understand why people might get offended but I think people need to be able to laugh at it, not because it's not a serious subject but just because a good laugh is healthy for everyone.
I used to SH myself, and I've always laughed at the jokes, and made them myself.
If you're not comfortable with them then telln your sister to not be offensive, but you can't really stop everyone from making jokes =/
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 09:18 AM

my sisters like this i dress emo and she often says things like ' why dress emo all they do is cut' and she makes remarks about how i choose to dress. i also cut, and when my sister starts going on and on about emos and cutting, it pisses me off, yes im emo, yes i cut, my sister doesnt know that i cut either. i hate all the emo and self harm jokes people make. i cut for reasons i have my reasons why i cut and i dont cut because i dress emo like the emo and self harm jokes always seem to make out, i cut because i real reasons !

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
I can understand why people might get offended but I think people need to be able to laugh at it, not because it's not a serious subject but just because a good laugh is healthy for everyone.
I used to SH myself, and I've always laughed at the jokes, and made them myself.
If you're not comfortable with them then telln your sister to not be offensive, but you can't really stop everyone from making jokes =/
I agree with this. You've honestly got to learn to take a joke and have some fun. I've self harmed in the past, but now I can sit and laugh about it. When people are making jokes, they're not meant to be taken seriously. I can laugh and joke about self harm, but I could also sit down and talk about it seriously if needed.
I've had quite a bit of a backlash from people thinking a certain joke wasn't funny (When i'm sad, I cut myself a slice of cheesecake - honestly, it's about cheesecake!). It's not meant to be offensive, it's meant to cheer people up. I think you need to relax a bit and just allow yourself to laugh.

Last edited by Prozac; November 3rd 2010 at 01:02 AM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 12:59 PM

I remember back in high school I would dress "emo" One day this guy from my class grabbed my arm just to see if I had any cuts on it to see if I was a "real emo" he said I wasn't as I had no scars.

The whole emo phase has seemed to have died down where I live now :/ at least with people my age. There are a lot less jokes now anyway.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 36,364, Level: 27 Points: 36,364, Level: 27 Points: 36,364, Level: 27

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 06:22 PM

I cut from the age of 12 to 17. I now really enjoy jokes about SH. They're called jokes for a reason: they're not supposed to be taken seriously.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17 Points: 13,657, Level: 17

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 06:50 PM

I agree, it doesn't really bother me that much anymore. I think people know that it's a serious subject, but it's always good to be able to laugh too. I cut, and I still make jokes, but I also know the seriousness of it, so yeah. I just find it's not worth it to get mad or hurt about anymore.

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Points: 48,157, Level: 31 Points: 48,157, Level: 31 Points: 48,157, Level: 31

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 08:31 PM

I dont like emo/cutting jokes but I do just laugh around with them. I've learned its better to just laugh then get offensive because people start to wonder if you really do cut.

One time a guy called me emo and a cutter because I had a cat scratch on my arm. I was like haha you know it but im really thinking if only you know.

I try not to take them personally though. i dotn think they mean any harm by it well atleast that guy didnt so I dont see any reason to get mad about it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WordNerd
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lindsay

Points: 12,366, Level: 16 Points: 12,366, Level: 16 Points: 12,366, Level: 16

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 08:56 PM

I feel awkward when someone makes a joke about it. Not because I don't recognize that it is all in good fun. I just don't know how I should respond. At the mention of self harm in real life I don't really know what to say unless it is a serious conversation. I'm afraid that I'll say something where everyone will be like "OMG, she cuts doesn't she?" even though I haven't for over a year now. Idk haha. That's just me.

"If you are going to tell the truth, be funny, or they'll kill you."
-Billy Wilder

My tumblr is mydalekromance.tumblr.com please visit me there.

feel free to contact me anytime.
Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Points: 11,407, Level: 15 Points: 11,407, Level: 15 Points: 11,407, Level: 15

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
There are some things you just don't joke about tbh. -.- SH is usually an indication that the sufferer is literally on the edge and barely coping from being so miserable. If someone makes an "emo joke" or makes fun of SH, it automatically puts them in my bad books, no questions asked. And if it's regarding a friend or a joke made directly to someone who suffers from SH/depression, I will say something, or take action.

Just for the record, I've never SH'd myself. But there are plenty of other things you can make a joke out of besides another persons misery. There's nothing funny about it whatsoever.

Currently inactive...
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 2nd 2010, 10:20 PM

To be fair I do find jokes a lot would find offensive funny. I just know there's a time and a place where to say those things. I make sure the person I'm talking to won't be offended. I actually told my sister a joke I heard about rape a few days ago (I won't repeat it here for obvious reasons) I knew she wouldn't be upset by it as she has never been raped or abused.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 3rd 2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeph View Post
There are some things you just don't joke about tbh. -.- SH is usually an indication that the sufferer is literally on the edge and barely coping from being so miserable. If someone makes an "emo joke" or makes fun of SH, it automatically puts them in my bad books, no questions asked. And if it's regarding a friend or a joke made directly to someone who suffers from SH/depression, I will say something, or take action.

Just for the record, I've never SH'd myself. But there are plenty of other things you can make a joke out of besides another persons misery. There's nothing funny about it whatsoever.
Joking about things can make people a lot happier. I'm sure that talking about them as a
sufferer or someone who is on the edge of whatever could also be offensive to some people. I don't understand why you'd immediately judge someone for making a joke about self harm. I make jokes about self harm but I can also be serious about it. People who joke about it aren't always trying to be offensive. I suffer from depression and have self harmed but if someone said something or took action after someones tried to lighten me up or have a joke, I'd be very annoyed. People don't always need to be defended or treated like a victim.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
The sad one. Offline
Amatuer drawer....
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,847, Level: 13 Points: 8,847, Level: 13 Points: 8,847, Level: 13

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 3rd 2010, 06:03 AM

Since I wear all black and DO cut myself yes people make jokes.
I ignore them , but if they get to far and really bug me I say something back. That rarely happens though.

I draw to resist killing myself...I'm not good at it either.
Cutting myself lets me not kill myself too.
Im not good with advise but if I'm online I'll try to help you.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Anonymous

Points: 11,106, Level: 15 Points: 11,106, Level: 15 Points: 11,106, Level: 15

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 3rd 2010, 08:38 AM

I haven't cut in years, but my body is riddled with scars regardless. Sometimes I feel like wearing a short sleeved shirt, and people will see them and not realize what they are, make a joke about cutting, and there I am thinking "Laugh it up, jack ass, that's what they're really from." I'm not going to deny that it stings a bit, but in all reality, you need to be able to laugh at yourself. It's definitely not a laughing matter, but what else can you do? If there's anything I've learned from Family Guy, it's that someone is always making fun of someone, and someone is always going to be hurt by that. So if you've ever made or laughed at a joke at someone else's expense (and admit it, we all have) you have to be ready to see the humor when someone does the same to us.

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 3rd 2010, 11:25 PM

I am not really offended about those jokes, because more often than not they come from a harmless place. It's about a caricature and a stereotype, not a malicious attack of an actual person. I make those jokes myself sometimes. I don't really have a problem with it, unless someone really is making a dig at people who cut themselves.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 4th 2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I am not really offended about those jokes, because more often than not they come from a harmless place. It's about a caricature and a stereotype, not a malicious attack of an actual person. I make those jokes myself sometimes. I don't really have a problem with it, unless someone really is making a dig at people who cut themselves.
Very true. I mean, I self-harm, but my friends and I have made "Emo" jokes. Like, when something silly goes wrong, we'll jokingly say "Oh, my life is over! I'm gonna go cut myself!" or something, just because the emo stereotype is going WAY overboard without justification for such.

Like, I know someone who was being Emo (though he'd deny it) and started complaining how his life wasn't worth living because his girlfriend of like, 2 or 3 weeks dumped him. Seriously, after that short of time? Pffft, stop whining. THATS the kind of person I'd make a joke out of.

Oh, and the joke thing "I wish my lawn was emo so it'd cut itself" amuses me.

So, I think it really depends on the context. If, for example, my friend made a joke about someone who actually does cut out of pain, I'd be disappointed. But well, we knew someone who would just barely scratch themselves and show it off for attention (he was trying to shock people like Marilyn Manson does), THATS someone who would be a good punchline.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#17 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 4th 2010, 02:59 PM

I hate 'emo' jokes. People in my class before have said things like 'I swear if she gives us another essay to do I'll end up cutting my wrists!' and it really frustrates me because they have no idea what they're really saying.
People should think more before they speak.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
iMuse Offline
Bah! Humbug!
Average Joe

Name: Rosy

Points: 10,283, Level: 14 Points: 10,283, Level: 14 Points: 10,283, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 4th 2010, 03:06 PM

I always get called emo too :/ and one day at drama, a boy said "What are those cuts on your hand, emo? Haha! Self harm cuts I guess!"
I almost cried at it, but I tried to laugh. Yeah, the jokes hurt, but you just have to try to get over it

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 4th 2010, 03:31 PM

I don't even know what "emo" IS. It's a made-up word and I have no idea what it means. Yes, the jokes suck, but they're jokes. Sometimes I think they're funny, sometimes I don't.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
inactiveprofile Offline
Average Joe

Name: .

Points: 9,998, Level: 14 Points: 9,998, Level: 14 Points: 9,998, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 4th 2010, 03:52 PM

I cut too.And I hate SH joke but you cant do anything about them.If your sister makes emo and/or SH jokes and you dont like them then just ask her not to make them. Hope I've bean a help
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,579, Level: 15 Points: 10,579, Level: 15 Points: 10,579, Level: 15

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 7th 2010, 05:59 AM

Eh I don't pay them any attention, they're only jokes. People make jokes about homeless people, physical ailments, mental illnesses, etc. and nobody is going to stop making those jokes not because they're ignorant, but because "behind every joke there is truth."
I'm not saying that every cutter is a stereotypical "emo" who whines all day and cuts for attention - but I'm not, nor have I ever met another cutter who was happy and you can't deny that.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Commiseration Offline
Average Joe

Name: Sam

Points: 11,000, Level: 15 Points: 11,000, Level: 15 Points: 11,000, Level: 15

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 7th 2010, 05:26 PM

"Emo" refers to a type of rock music called Emotional Hardcore or Emocore, which eventually lead into screamo. It in no way ties in with self harm, therefore if anyone calls you emo just look at them and say "thanks, I do enjoy that type of music!" Unless you dont, then just look at them like they're crazy

Aside from that, jokes about self harm, as with other disorders, are just distasteful and insensitive. They're also hurtful. It can make people who secretly self harm not want to ask for help. And it can actually make people self harm just to get laughs or attention. We all need to start thinking a little more before we speak. You never know what the person next to you is going through.

And if you find someone who insists on making jokes about such things sarcastically tell them "Oh you're so witty and creative, I've never heard that before..." Emo jokes are getting really old and over-used so challenge them to come up with something new for a change. Most people don't like when you insult their jokes or flat out tell them they're lame. They usually move on to something else then.

And as always, remember that no matter how many people make jokes about it, there's plenty of us who understand and care so you're never alone and will always have someone to turn to when you need help.

-Let the Music Play-
"There's no way to explain why life is filled with so much pain. But do the flowers ever grow in the places it don't rain?"

"But the unfortunate truth is that, while being different from everyone else can be exciting at first, ultimately it can get a little lonely."

"The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no further."
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
I'm Me <3
Not a n00b

Name: Marisa

Points: 10,048, Level: 14 Points: 10,048, Level: 14 Points: 10,048, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 7th 2010, 05:42 PM

I have a friend who usedto cut and the other day in our yearbook class these two girls were joking around about emos. One of the girls was sitting in the corner with her hood pulled over her head, pretending to be depressed, and the other girl was practially screaming "omg!!! sammies emo!!!!" my friend got pissed off and yelled "Don't joke around about that stuff!!! I've been there, and let me tell you, it's not fun!!!" Then they backed off and went to the other side of the room. I cut, well used to, and I know its not fun, I get a little offended when people joke about it, but I laugh along with them, cause I used to make jokes about them before I cut. I'll laugh at the jokes, but I don't make them.

If I smiled and said I'm fine, would you look in to my eyes, and say "Tell the truth"?
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 7th 2010, 06:37 PM

I admit that when I hear an emo joke it stings and makes me uncomfortable. However, I have learned to live with them and I can accept that the jokes come from harmless people. Most the people who make those jokes do not mean to be offensive. It just is one of those things that is. Some people are going to make jokes about self harm and others aren't. In the end it is important to take it for what it is and move on. Most people don't realize they are being offensive and if you were to tell them they would, most likely, stop.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Poetic Loser
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erin

Points: 21,673, Level: 21 Points: 21,673, Level: 21 Points: 21,673, Level: 21

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 9th 2010, 07:48 PM

It makes me sick to the stomach. People know at school after a horrible experiance that ended me in hospital and they go around saying emo jokes about me. I give them this look that says 'you really shouldn't have said that asswipe'
They kinda back off then. Except for a few people....But i think they are just really nasty people. Karma will get them back.

How come dumb stuff seems so smart while you're doing it?
Good friends get drunk with you. Best friends hold your hair back when you've had a bit too much to drink!
There's no such thing as good girls gone wrong, only bad girls found out.
I've learned...
that maturity has more to do with what types
of experiences you've had and what you've
learned from them and less to do with how
many birthdays you've celebrated.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
JapaneeseLove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kyoko

Points: 8,341, Level: 13 Points: 8,341, Level: 13 Points: 8,341, Level: 13

November 10th 2010, 12:12 AM

cutting is terrible

i understand u'd be offended

but i do think it's rude to joke

hope i answered ur question

bye for now if u need help message me

Last edited by Storyteller.; November 13th 2010 at 05:21 AM.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 12th 2010, 01:21 AM

I take jokes of this sort very offensively.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 12th 2010, 02:10 AM

I hate when they make jokes and I will tell them it's not funny and that its a problem. And actually yes people will make the jokes even if they know you cut or used to and there even worse because they will make the motion and derect it straight at you. No I do not joke about cuttting but i do find myself saying things like "I hate my life" Kill me now" or make a gun and put it to my head with my hand with a smile on my face but the reality is I'm not joking but everyone else thinks I am.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 12th 2010, 06:12 AM

The jokes don't offend me. I understand that they aren't malicious at all.

I do, however, see how they can effect others.
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Eyes on Fire-Xx Offline
The doctor's next companion
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sumi

Points: 10,565, Level: 15 Points: 10,565, Level: 15 Points: 10,565, Level: 15

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 12th 2010, 07:50 PM

It bothers me a bit :/ I mean, I know it's a joke, and it's okay sometimes? But it's more the fact they joke people make about being emo and cutting, it's not the jokes themselfs rather the fact they see it as somthing stupid and attention seeking, or as somthing only "stupid emo kids" do. My family will make jokes like 'oh why don't you just go cry in the corner and cut emo kid' and things like that. When it's my little siblings, I tell them that's not nice and try to get them out of that habit... I cut, so, it bugs me a bit if I told them they wouldn't take me seriously...

The strongest oaks
grow in opposing winds
and Diamonds are
made under
Pressure

PM me anytime for anything at all! <3<3<3
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Points: 9,548, Level: 14 Points: 9,548, Level: 14 Points: 9,548, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 13th 2010, 03:04 AM

I've read through this and I have so many differing ideas. I hate those jokes. As someone who has struggled with self harm for several years, it's hard to hear the comments made. While I can't change the fact that people make those jokes, it's definitely a sensitive subject and something I think should be avoided.

What hurts me more is when friends who KNOW that's an issue make a joke that involves it. I can see your struggle.

Maybe one day I will laugh about it and make the jokes myself, but with as much pain as it has caused me, I can't see that being a joke I'll make. It doesn't seem fair.

It's like making gay jokes, or jokes about someone crying rape. That's an issue for me. I think our society needs a little lesson in sensitivity.

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
lost_soul Offline
:)
Average Joe

Points: 9,904, Level: 14 Points: 9,904, Level: 14 Points: 9,904, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 13th 2010, 03:42 PM

When people pull out jokes about cutting, it can be quite awkward, seeing as I cut.
I just want to shrink into the ground and disappear, everybody laughs but I never can and i feel like everybody is staring at me, when, in reality they aren't.

Self harm shouldn't be taken lightly, and I would never joke about it, but the people that joke just don't understand it. And, it's not their fault really, it's just a joke to them. But, it's not nice for the people who genuinely know how it is to struggle with self harm.

PM me anytime, I love helping people and will do my best to help you <3

And if I bleed, I'll bleed knowing you don't care
~ Evanescence, Missing
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Marnie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Marnie

Points: 8,891, Level: 13 Points: 8,891, Level: 13 Points: 8,891, Level: 13

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 13th 2010, 11:42 PM

I'm with llamasliketoparty

I don't like emo/cutting jokes they are really offensive to me, they aren't funny. I do think they are mean, if you ask me it is a way of bullying to some people. i am also with Sleepwalker I don't know how to respond when people say them as I do SH.

a few weeks ago one of my fiends got a cut on her arm from cooking and another friend was joking about how she must have cut herself, and they both found that very entertaining.. that disturbed me.
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 14th 2010, 12:37 AM

I can't stand it when people joke about cutting or killing themselves. Like in my school some kids will say things like "If I have to sit next to that person every day I'm going to go kill myself." or they say to someone else "What, are you going to become all emo and cut yourself now." I usually don't say anything, though I have before, I don't find the jokes funny, but at the same time I don't find them offenseive, I know somewhere inside me I know they don't know I cut and that I struggle with my thoughts at times, so I can't say they are offending me if they don't intend to do such a thing. I got upset though when this one kid told me he watched a ten minute video on Youtube of a girl cutting herself and then he started demonstrated the cutting with a styrophom tray and a plastic knife...
I asked him why he'd watch a video like that and he said "Becuase I thought it was funny." I didn't know what to say to him, what should someone that cuts say to someone that finds watching videos of cutting amusing? I just think that society has to many stereotypes and that it's sad that there are so much labels out there and offensive names out there, I think it will take time, but eventually, self harm will get recognized more as something not to joke about and as something that when brought up, is a serious thing that needs help getting through. Just my oppinions, not that anyone would agree with them, most people don't, but I felt like I should put them here...

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Natasha

Points: 14,069, Level: 17 Points: 14,069, Level: 17 Points: 14,069, Level: 17

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 14th 2010, 12:58 AM

I personally can't stand jokes about cutting. I know they're jokes, but I've seen so many people become so hurt by them. They do offend me, a lot actually. However most of the time I just pretend to laugh it off, unless they direct it at a person. That's when I step up and know this needs to be dealt with. There was a situation I witnessed a girl making fun of another saying "Oh look I'm *namehere* and I cut myself!" She took a pencil and pretended to cut herself. I thought this was horrible.. so of course I said something.

Another type of joke that seems to be pretty common is people saying things like "Kill me" or putting their fingers up against their head resembling a gun, I personally do it myself sometimes. I don't find this is much of an issue in a way it's become more of a way of complaining I guess you could say. I've been suicidal in the past, and personally I don't find this offensive at all. It's something that people have done for so long. Though when people are mocking other people, or making fun of other people, then I find that it is an issue. But if it's simply a "Why me" type thing, I don't see too much harm in it.

And she fights so you won't ignore her,
'cause thats her biggest fear.

Support
Love<3

Keep your head up gorgeous,
they'll kill to see you
fall..
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
BasicFacts Offline
A Soul Already Sold
Average Joe

Name: Kamillia

Points: 9,160, Level: 14 Points: 9,160, Level: 14 Points: 9,160, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 27th 2010, 07:14 AM

Making jokes about emo people is like... my hobby.
However, making jokes about people who self-harm for valid reasons (I worded that as well as I could, and I meant for reasons other than attention) is... only okay in certain contexts. I don't like them personally because I'm one of those people and I don't like joking about my issues, but to each his own.
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
jduck Offline
Not even time can heal this.
Average Joe

Name: Jenn

Points: 9,553, Level: 14 Points: 9,553, Level: 14 Points: 9,553, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 27th 2010, 07:58 AM

Sometimes when I'm talking about things like that with someone I'll laugh at their joke, or even make a joke, just to cover up the fact that I do it...

"Sometimes we just have to accept that some people are going to stay in our hearts Even if we aren't in theirs."
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 27th 2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
I'm with llamasliketoparty

I don't like emo/cutting jokes they are really offensive to me, they aren't funny. I do think they are mean, if you ask me it is a way of bullying to some people. i am also with Sleepwalker I don't know how to respond when people say them as I do SH.

a few weeks ago one of my fiends got a cut on her arm from cooking and another friend was joking about how she must have cut herself, and they both found that very entertaining.. that disturbed me.
i know what you mean where i work and when we're packing the cuboard and someone drops a pair of scissorcs on thier foot or something the person whos dropped them will say oww i dropped scissorcs on my foot or something like that theen people i work with will say ' your not self harming in that cuboard are you'. people where i work do not know i s/h but i do not like theese sort of jokes never have never will, i find thesse sort of jokes rather triggering.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 27th 2010, 10:33 AM

I believe it to be irresponsible.
It basically commercializes SH and puts a label on people who need genuine help, so that they deserve abuse.
It is horrible.

One million miles away...

Last edited by ~Mr. Self Destruct~; November 27th 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Better, more understandable second line
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 28th 2010, 02:32 AM

I personally don't like cutting/emo jokes and get offended when they are told. They're still thrown around quite a bit here and I really wish I could tell them that they are wrong. I've experienced SH before and my friends don't know, but I still feel secretly hurt that they make those sort of jokes. However, I end up trying to ignore them.
I remember one joke where a kid was joking around out of the blue saying that he was going to kill himself and then was all saying "No, no, I'm joking, life is a beautiful thing." It got me mad.
Closed Thread