TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Robyn

Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 12th 2010, 10:23 PM

Like, my friends don't know i SH, so sometimes they make jokes about cutting and everyone laughs, but i end up standing there feeling really awkward because i don't know what to do because i feel that if i laugh everyone will be like 'OMG she cuts doesnt she?'
So yeah.
Earlier this week they made a joke and turned to me and jokingly said 'lets check your wrists then' and quickly pulled up on of my sleeves. Luckily, it was my right hand, and they didnt manage to pull it up that far so no one saw any scars, but when they tried to check the other one i pulled away and stepped back. So my friend looked and me and told me to show her my wrists, jokingly, and i had to make up some excuse about not letting them see. But it was really awkward for me and tbh, I panicked.

-hangin' on by a thread
  Send a message via Skype™ to BurstingAtTheSeams 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 12th 2010, 11:22 PM

Hey Robyn, I wouldn't call that a joke. That was really mean and inapropriate. I'm sorry that happened to you. <3

I don't hear many SH jokes, so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me. Jokes about suicide bother me, which I hear alot, because I think people don't realize how serious it is.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Take life one day at a time
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jenn

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 12th 2010, 11:29 PM

My friends do the same thing. They don't realize they're hurting me when they do it though. The other day someone was like oh gosh exams are coming up I'm so nervous. And someone said they were going to get depressed and then my friend started making cutting motions and everyone laughed. It's very awkward. Its best to let them know individually that SOMEONE close to you struggles with cutting and not to joke about it. Or, if you'd like tell them its you. Best of luck in all of this.

Don't you know you're lovely?
Jenn <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erin

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 13th 2010, 01:10 AM

something like that had happened to me once and i found it extremly akward. I was at crew (rowing) practice and someone was looking through a drawer and found a knife and made a commenting saying they shouldn't have these with teenage girls around. someone else then asked why and the girl replied someone might decide that they want to cut themselves and everyone giggled then she took the knife and pretended to cut herself with it while mock crying saying i don't want to row today and everyone started to laugh and i was laughing but inside i was like and started to pull down on my sleeves i was just like wtf

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*PrOuD*oF*wHo*I*aM*
Average Joe

Name: Kassy

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 13th 2010, 01:19 PM

i dnt find it awkward..cuz i live in a small school..so evry1 knows pretty much all mi secrets..it just pisses me off..and makes me wnt to punch thm in th face..but i do wish yu good luck in going through ths

**Kassy**

**PRNDL**

****PM ME ANY TIME****
  Send a message via MSN to *.Good.Things.Coming.*  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 13th 2010, 02:03 PM

people where i work make jokes about cutting like of someone catches thier hand on a object in the cupboard at work someone will shout out ' oh stop self harming in that cupboard will you' they're joking about but i dont find it funny, my friend at college does something simmilar aswell, like on my ipod all my music is sad / depressing and he jokes that he will go home and 'slit his wrisits' and sometimes asks the tutor got any scissorcs her musics depressing and im like :/ my firned at college has only recently started to make theese jokes. its annoying. but i just laugh along with them even though i dont like the jokes.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 13th 2010, 02:38 PM

I know how you feel. My friends make jokes about slitting their wrists when something is wrong, and occasionally they'll point out cat scratches on my arms and ask if I've been cutting. But I only ever cut on my ankles, so they don't know. I've learned to just deal with it. Most of the time, they're not trying to hurt anyone even if they are being ignorant. But I agree that pulling up your sleeves was just way out of line. I think, like Tara said, you should pull each of them aside and let them know that you take that stuff very seriously. You can say you know someone who does it, and you don't have to tell them it's you. They might not understand, but if they're decent friends, they'll probably quit joking about it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CrashQueen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess.

Re: Do you find it awkward when someone makes a SH joke? - December 13th 2010, 02:56 PM

That's not really even a joke what she did, she should have backed off when you moved away at least. I'm sorry it happened to you.

I used to self harm, and I still don't like the self harming jokes, some people talk about about it like its nothing but they won't understand it isn't unless there doing it, I'm sorry it makes you feel awkward I get where your coming from.

feel free to PM me anytime.

Because your amazing, just the way you are.
Thankyou, for everything.
30/03/08.15/11/08.23/10/10.
  Send a message via MSN to CrashQueen  
Closed Thread