TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 15th 2010, 10:43 PM

I'm a cutter. I admit it. But I refuse to say that I cause myself pain. That's not my role in life. That position is filled by those I am nave enough to love. I can't desimate myself, because I don't love myself. Love is the only weapon truly capable of shattering a person. My heart is glass. Love is a sledgehammer. I give it to people. They all seem to know exactly how to use it. Some chip away at me slowly. Some smash me to shards in one quick motion. Cuts don't hurt. Having my leg sliced up is nothing after having my heart destroyed. I cut. They inflict pain on me.

Just Keep Breathing

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 16th 2010, 02:12 AM

Hey Blair.

Trusting people can hurt, sometimes. But you are also hurting yourself by cutting. You don't deserve that, from others or yourself. Please know that there are other ways to get through this without hurting yourself.

<3

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 16th 2010, 03:21 AM

I know where you're coming from, but even though you say you "aren't hurting yourself," you are. And sometimes it's not physical pain at all, you may not feel it when you injure yourself, but how do you really feel about it deep down? You know it's not good and you know it's hurting those around you even if they don't know you SI. I think SI is more emotionally painful than physically, and can you really deny that you feel some sort of shame in it? If you do feel shame, that's proof right there - It is damaging to your psych.
Think about it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount5

Edit avatar

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 12:00 AM

physically you are hurting you, but the reasoning behind it is people which causes you confusion. I see that. Dont cut, dont cause yourself harm and try to remove those people from your life if they are hurting you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 01:21 AM

Emotional pain sucks, I know, but everyone has to face it in some form or another and everyone deals with it and is capable of recovering. The self infliction comes when you choose to make that pain physical and sometimes that lasts longer than its origin. Drama and issues are inevitable in life but I promise you that cutting yourself won't make them any better. The problems will continue to be there until they are dealt with, and dealing with them can even take the form of you just saying "You know, I don't deserve this and these are your problems, not mine".

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 01:38 AM

Other peoples words and actions can hurt, A LOT, I'm sure we can all relate to you on that but in the end it is you who is making the cuts. I know how bad it makes me feel when I self-harm, I feel so much shame and anger at myself which only makes me more depressed which makes me want to self-harm again, it's a vicious cycle. Anyway what I am trying to say is you may not be able to feel the pain but you are causing yourself harm.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#7 (permalink)) Old
alex2010 Offline
Self Harm Awareness Advocate
Average Joe

Name: Alex Short

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 04:28 AM

I suggest finding new friends that you fully trust. And I know it may seem like it, but cutting isnt the only way to get over heartbreak. It just covers up the emotional pain with a physical pain. Try a few of these alternatives to self harm: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ and if you ever wanna talk just email me.

~Alex

Last day I cut: 7-13-2010

I believe in everyone that I help that they will get over whatever they are struggling with.

I regret nothing in my past. My past made me who I am today.

There is freedom from self harm feel free to email me anytime if you wanna chat at:
alexshort154@yahoo.com

Send a message via MSN to alex2010 Send a message via Yahoo to alex2010 Send a message via Skype™ to alex2010 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
stars Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 09:09 AM

I'm wary to reply, I admit ... I am in the same situation.
Unwilling to let go, but the pain is too far gone to stop myself from hurting myself.
... but you're wrong, you're the one inflicting the pain, and the only way it's going to stop is if you move on.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 04:44 PM

Pain is just a drug like any other. The only difference is that I'm still in control of myself. But I'm not hurting myself. I'm getting high.

Just Keep Breathing

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: My pain is NOT self-inflicted - December 22nd 2010, 07:59 PM

Yeah, and like all other drugs it has harmful effects, in this case it's the fact that you're breaking the skin and blood vessels. And yes, you are hurting yourself. If someone were to cut you, you'd be hurt, the scenario is no different if that someone is you. It may not be fatal or permanent, but you are still harming yourself.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

Closed Thread