TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 16th 2010, 04:42 AM

Is it legal for my parents to commit me (involuntarily) to a psychiatric ward for self-injury i.e. cutting/burning without suicidal intent in the U.S. (specifically Alabama and Delaware - I live in AL, my dad lives in DE and we're moving in a few months)? Do they do some kind of psych test before you're commited, or how does it work exactly?
My mom threatened me a few times with it and I've started hurting myself again and I want to be aware of what's going to happen if she ever finds out.

Thank you for your time.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 16th 2010, 07:43 PM

Hey,

I am from England so it may be different here but I would have thought it would be similar. If you are using self harm as a coping strategy and not with any suicide intent then I think it would be very unlikely that they admitted you for that. They only really admit people to psychiatric wards as a last resort meaning when there is a serious risks involved like if they thought someone was going to take their life. There is a shortage of beds in psychiatric ward so they only admit people if they cannot be keft safe in the community. If you did seek support with your self harm then you are just likely to be offered counselling or some sort of therapy. So I do not think your parents can admit you to hospital against your wishes. It sounds like your parents do not really understand self harm and perhaps they are rather concerned about you, which is why they suggested hospital. It can be really difficult for people close to us to understand why someone else would hurt themselves intentially.

Stay strong.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 16th 2010, 08:39 PM

If it's a private ward, and you're under 18 they probably can since you're a minor.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 18th 2010, 06:20 AM

To be admitted to the ward you would have to be asessed by the psychitrist first, then they will decide whether or not you need to admitted. It is a possibility that they would admitt you if they feel that you are a danger to yourself. I have been admitted for self-harming before but mostly I am admitted for being suicidal. Try to explain to your parents that you don't want to be admitted but you do want someone to talk to, like a counselor (as long as that is what you want). A therapist can help you explain to them that why you self-harm and that you aren't trying to kill yourself. If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me anytime.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 19th 2010, 03:14 AM

Thank you all for your very helpful information and support!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
morgan11506 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Morgan Cobb

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 21st 2010, 05:17 AM

I was admitted to the psychiatric ward in June for self-harm. I was not trying to kill myself I slit open my leg and arm about 50 times and od-ed on some pills, my mom took me to the emergency room and they admitted me against my will. I was 18 at the time, a legal adult, and I still had no control over what they done. I was there for a week, a horrible week, its not a place i wanna go back to. So if i were you I would be very careful. Btw I live in Alabama, I was In the old Mont Clair Hospital it is now called Trinity.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 21st 2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan11506 View Post
I was admitted to the psychiatric ward in June for self-harm. I was not trying to kill myself I slit open my leg and arm about 50 times and od-ed on some pills, my mom took me to the emergency room and they admitted me against my will. I was 18 at the time, a legal adult, and I still had no control over what they done. I was there for a week, a horrible week, its not a place i wanna go back to. So if i were you I would be very careful. Btw I live in Alabama, I was In the old Mont Clair Hospital it is now called Trinity.
Yeah if you go to the ER for it 9 out of 10 times you will be admitted but if its just a referral for SH it's about 50/50

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki

(#8 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 21st 2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygurlone View Post
Yeah if you go to the ER for it 9 out of 10 times you will be admitted but if its just a referral for SH it's about 50/50
That is not true. In my experience they do not admit many people through A&E just often send you off home. It depends on the risks and the circumstances that led you to going to A&E in the first place.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - December 22nd 2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
That is not true. In my experience they do not admit many people through A&E just often send you off home. It depends on the risks and the circumstances that led you to going to A&E in the first place.
Well that is just what I have experienced, it does differ everywhere. It depends on what hospital you go to and that are a lot of other things that factor in, so you are right.

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki

(#10 (permalink)) Old
sunny T Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Psychiatric Ward for Self-Harm? - January 2nd 2011, 10:33 PM

yes, definitely they can. they don't really do a psych evaluation. they just send you in and keep you on a 72 hour psychiatric hold to observe you and if they think you're okay then they let you go, but that is very rare that they let people go after only 3 days. trust me, I'd know. haha. if you do get sent in, they'll ask you to sign a paper basically signing yourself in and then they'll tell you that if you don't willingly agree they'll have your parents sign you in. blah blah blah. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread