TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

I don't know how to explain - December 17th 2010, 05:57 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't really want therapy, but I think I need it. But because I'm shy and I don't want to admit that to the people I love for fear they might think lower of me even though my mom goes to therapy sometimes.
Anyway, the last time I cut myself my mom said I would be put in a psychiatric ward if I did it again and I stopped for about a month or two then I started again. She doesn't know I've started again nor does she know I burn myself sometimes now as well, but I don't want to tell anyone because my family already thinks I am an attention seeker and an 'emo.' I can't tell anyone because I'm vain and I don't want people to think that little of me, to disregard my feelings and the facts and let them drown in whatever idiocy they believe of me because they are ignorant and will not listen to my explanations and they "don't believe it makes you feel good, that's bullshit." Yet, I want to keep hurting myself so badly that it conflicts my will to get help, because I know I'll need this to get through college but it is so hard to hide from everyone, even in the Winter because I still think they are suspicious and it makes me very paranoid. Is there a way to explain to them what self harm is (without the Internet's help because I don't want them to think I look that stuff up ) without them seeing it as suicidal or attention seeking? Or worse, sending me to a psychiatric facility? I've tried to educate them many times but they just don't listen and chose to be ignorant...

Thank you for taking your time to read this, it's very much appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Name: Matt

Re: I don't know how to explain - December 17th 2010, 11:34 PM

As much as I'm against self harming, if you like it and you don't want to be known as an attention seeker or such.. Don't bother explaining to anyone then. My best friend has random habits to cut himself and he just gets on with his life, I know what he does, so does my mum but he says "Ah well, just get on with life init".

Probably not the best answer you're looking for, but supporting self harming isn't my type of thing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: I don't know how to explain - December 18th 2010, 05:47 AM

Okay, I don't really think what Matt said was very helpful because I know that you can't "just get on with life". Self-harm is something that takes over your life and most people who haven't self-harmed don't know that. My parents didn't understand when they first found out either. My mom thought I was doing it for attention and my dad didn't know what to do but he thought that it was something I could just stop. What helped them to understand, well at least my mom was my therapist talking to her and explaining what is it and why I do it. With my dad it just took time, and he still doesn't fully understand and he never will but he's trying. I know that you feel you can't talk to anyone about it but do have a school counselor that you can confide in? They can help you tell your parents and help explain to your parents that you do need someone to talk to and that you aren't doing this for attention. Even if you aren't sure if you want to stop self-harming talking to a therapist can help you figure that out, or at least help you deal with the problems that are causing you to self-harm. I hope this helped a little, if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

Closed Thread