TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JessicaGDA Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Trying to stop - December 28th 2010, 10:22 PM

Well I'm new here, but I didn't want to wait any longer for advice.

I'm 16 years old, and have been cutting since I was 11. I've been addicted to it. I previously stopped for almost a year. But two days ago, some stuff happened with my brother, and I relapsed on the 26th. And have been struggling ever since. I just did it again this morning too. I've talked to my dad about it, and we are going to try counseling. He also wants me to start writing and journaling.

Are there any other ways to stay preoccupied when I get the urge to cut? What helps you restrain when you need to?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Trying to stop - December 28th 2010, 11:13 PM

First of all, well done for stopping for almost a year. That's a huge achievement, you should be proud. You're on the right track with asking for help and trying counselling. Writing and journalling are 2 great alternatives, we also have a huge list here ->

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

which I suggest you check out. There are some really helpful alternatives and distractions there, try a few and if they don't help, try a few more.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Trying to stop - December 28th 2010, 11:16 PM

i agree with what bean said. Check out that list. I struggle with SH too. im about 3 months sh free.

flicking a rubberband on myself usually helps the most. and postive self tak. just like telling yourself you can get through it and cutting isnt the way out, etc... sometimes i'l distract myself by painting my nails or even drawing on myself.

Welcome to TH and you just made a great first step by not being afraid to post here. we all ended up here for a reason. (:

Congrats on going solong with out harming yourself though, thats a huge accomplishment.

Good luck with the counseling<3(:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JessicaGDA Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Re: Trying to stop - December 29th 2010, 12:09 AM

Thank you both. The list that Bean sent was helpful.
Ashley, 3 months is good, you're off to a good start dear!

I was 2 months short of it being a full year(in February), and I was looking so forward to have been able to resist it for a year. I feel guilty for going back to it, and even worse now that I'm having such a hard time not doing it again.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Trying to stop - December 29th 2010, 12:30 AM

Use that motivation to go a full year, to keep you going. You can do it.

CHEESY QUOTE TIME!
"You can do anything if you just believe!" <--- Peter Pan

(:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

Closed Thread