TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JessColleen Offline
Humanoid.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

how did you get help? - December 31st 2010, 10:38 PM

okay, i'm so tired of doing this and feeling like shit. now is my time to live, instead of exist.
how did you guys find help?

<3

Hey. Y'know, you're gorgeous. Don't change, yeah?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*ellyssa* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: how did you get help? - December 31st 2010, 10:57 PM

im in the same situation im trying to find some help as well. My advise would be to throw out anything you use to sh. if its something like scissors or things your parents would notice just put them away somewhere so you dont have them around you. Then i would find some people to talk to. I found two friends that have offered to be there for me. They made me promise to call them and talk to them day or night if i feel like i might sh. Support is always good
feel free to pm me if u ever need to talk

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Just a nobody Offline
Lonely.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Guess?

Re: how did you get help? - December 31st 2010, 11:27 PM

My freshmen year I talked to one of my friends who had apparently gone through the same thing. She's now one of my best friends. Anyways, I told her about my SH and other things, and she generally seemed supportive. That was at camp in the summer. When we returned to school, she told my school counselor (against my wishes) about it and she called me down and demanded that I show her. Well, not a pleasant experience, but at least I know if I really needed to I could go see her. I mostly talk to my friends when I'm struggling though.

I'm glad you're considering seeking help... That is very good! You should be proud of yourself.

On the other hand, not everybody is going to react the way you want... So don't let that deter you from talking to somebody else. You will find much support here, on TH, and there are many others you can talk to... Family member, best friend, teacher, ect. Like I said, I'm glad you decided to take the path into making yourself happier. You'll be much more content living, trust me.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

I love : )

"Love is simple... Don't be afraid, you're already dead."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
JessColleen Offline
Humanoid.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Re: how did you get help? - January 1st 2011, 03:21 AM

thanks, both <3
i think, ideally, it'd have to be a teacher/school counsellor i told. my family and friends do know, but they think i stopped a while ago, and i literally cannot face disappointing them again.
so any tips on how to approach a teacher/counsellor? i just don't want to be made a big deal of, the spotlight is not a place i like. so, how would you go about willingly telling them?

Hey. Y'know, you're gorgeous. Don't change, yeah?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: how did you get help? - January 1st 2011, 03:52 AM

I was forced into help. I completed group therapy for being abused but when people found out that I was SHing they put me right back into individual therapy with the therapist who led the group. I didn't really have a choice everything just happened but you can make sure things go smoother for you. Make sure it is someone that you trust. They will most likely tell your parents but you can do it together and they can sit down with you and you parents and try to discuss options for you getting help. It may be scarey at first but you can do it. If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: how did you get help? - January 1st 2011, 05:19 AM

Honestly? I didn't reach out for help. I've got help, but thats because the guy I'm currently dating has been very supportive of me. He knows my situation, he can tell when I'm getting uncomfortable, and he has been very good with helping me cope with my problems. When I'm upset, I talk to him, he'll hold me close, and I just, feel better.

So, in short, perhaps reaching out to someone close to you can prove beneficial to helping you on the road to quitting.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: how did you get help? - January 1st 2011, 06:19 PM

Hey there.

It's really great you are going to try get help. You should be really proud of yourself.

I think the first time I got help was about two/three years ago. I spoke to my English teacher after we had a family crisis and my self harm got bad again. I was feeling suicidal and she knew that too. But then I spoke to the school nurse who spoke to the pastrol support officer who I had never ever spoken to. She called an emergency meeting with me, my mum, my head of year and the school nurse and I was referred in to councilling at CAMHS by my school nurse.

Writing letters has always been the easiest way for me to express how I feel and to tell the truth. I do this with my teacher and my councillor. With my councillor I've just started doing art to express my emotions too. You could try these Remember to be honest because they care for you and want to help you.

Since, I've been in and out of hospital for overdose. I had to see someone after I was in hospital in March and they change my councillor and now I have been seeing her for several months and we get on really well and I can talk to her more now. I've also been talking to my pastrol support officer since the beginning of year ten and I am now in year twelve so its been nearly three years. I was in a psych unit for three months which did help me a bit. Always make sure you talk to someone who you can trust and open up to. It will be hardest at first but over time it will get easier.

Talking to a teacher/school nurse could really help you and I hope you manage to do so. Just keep holding on because even if things seem hard, they can and will get better. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever need a chat.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; January 2nd 2011 at 03:51 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kimberlyv2009 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 12:26 AM

Hey. I got help by my parents finding out and calling places to get a therapist.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 12:50 AM

I'm very glad! This is a HUGE step to recovery. I hope that you find a therapist that you work well with.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 02:49 AM

I'm so glad that you want to get help!
In my situation I ended up telling a close friend who then told my mum who then got me into therapy.
Life's been a lot better recently and I am so glad that I managed to tell someone.
It can be very hard, but trust me you won't regret it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Anne

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 03:26 AM

I got help for more than just my SH habits (I also got it for my ED). But I picked a day I felt comfortable with (it was my favorite number) and I made an appointment for that day with my school guidance counselor. I was terrified so much it is not even funny. I knew that I wouldn't be able to just say what was wrong with me and so I had written it down in a letter and gave it to her to read. Everything just went after that.

"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 03:43 AM

I got a bit of help when I started talking a teacher at school I trusted and then from there I ended up seeing the counsellor at my school.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 04:16 AM

First, I am VERY proud of one for taking this first step to recovery! (And I don't even know you! )

I didn't really have much of a choice in getting help. I had been looking up self help tip on my phone's internet. After I had gone to bed, my mom used my phone. She went on the internet and saw where I been on the sites. She went in the bathroom and saw the demolished razors I would cut with. She woke me up and confronted me about it. I told her everything. The next morning I was taken to the therapist for an intake for therapy. Two days after that, I was taken to the psychiatrist to get anti-depressants. I told her about being suicidal. She decided I was "toxic" to myself. I was sent to a mental hospital for intense therapy and to start me on anti-depressants. I spent two weeks there and... I feel great now

Talk to SOMEONE about it! They'll help you find the help you need!

You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome

Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: how did you get help? - January 2nd 2011, 04:26 AM

Hey there!
I'm so glad that you want to get help! It's amazing and you should really proud of yourself!
For me, I told one of my cousins who told my parents and from there I saw a councillor.

Closed Thread