TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
confuzzled*gurl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bruna

Question What do I say? - January 1st 2011, 11:07 AM

So I started cutting about 3 weeks ago. My goal was to stop during winter break, and I did for a few days, but then started again.

I really want to stop, but I can't. I always want to cut.

I want to get help before it gets really bad. So when school starts again, I'm going to see the counselor.

I'm really nervous about it though. I don't know what to say and do when I go see her.

So what should I say/do? Any advice??

Thanks!
  Send a message via MSN to confuzzled*gurl  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: What do I say? - January 1st 2011, 03:56 PM

WOW!! Dude you are SUPER SUPER SUPER brave and responsible!! You have acknowledged that you're not handling things well and you have a bad habbit! THAT'S AWESOME!!! So basically..
#1. Who do you want to know this? If she finds this out she may tell your parents or guardians..I'm not sure if you're ready for that or not
#2. She'll ask A LOT of questions...like how long have you done it? Why? What's going on at home that makes you want to do this? She may also press that you see a therapist or psychiatrist on a regular basis. Are you ready for that? Do you see a therapist already? Have you told her yet?
#3. How many people know about this? Have you told anyone else yet? How comfortbale are you with other people knowing?
And then as to how to say it...basically just come in and tell her you have something serious to say and you want help for what you have to say...if she's a counselor she'll be understanding hopefully..some are weird that...then tell her you SH and that you want help to stop and basically anything else you say to asnwer her reactions and qeustions is up to you..it all depends on what you want to say and are willing to share

(#3 (permalink)) Old
confuzzled*gurl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do I say? - January 2nd 2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks.. I don't know if I'm ready for ALL of that, but it's getting worse every day, so I think that I should really do it. But thank you sooo much!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
My_Hero Offline
Lil' Rocker Chick 8)
Not a n00b

Re: What do I say? - January 3rd 2011, 12:09 AM

First off; congrats! The fact that you're taking the step to get help on your own is so incredible!
Hannah basically said it all; your counselor is going to ask a lot of questions, and likely going to have to inform your parents to help you get better treatment. It's probably going to be a little overwhelming at first but just remember that it's all for the sake of getting better. You can do it!
As to what to say; just tell it like it is. Don't beat around the bush. When you go in, just let your counselor know; "I have a problem.. I've been struggling with self-harm."
You should be really proud of yourself for realizing you can't do it on your own.

We all need somebody to lean on <3
~I will survive, I will endure.
When the going's rough, you can be sure;
I'll tough it out, I won't give in. When I'm knocked down I'll get up again.
As long as my dream's alive, I Will Survive~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: What do I say? - January 3rd 2011, 12:42 AM

yeah, going to you're councilor is a giantttt step, you really should be proud.
She'll talk (or he'll) you through it, figure out what's best for you; but they won't toss you in a psych ward. Best of luck to you, just make sure you do talk to them. I know from personal experience that it's terrifying, but it'll be worth it in the end.

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Anne

Re: What do I say? - January 3rd 2011, 01:42 AM

Congrats on taking that first step. You are so BRAVE and STRONG. You will get through this. You will get the help you deserve because you are worth it.I did that three months ago for my SH and ED problems. Personally, I wrote a note because I figured I wouldn't be able to say it. She did ask a lot of questions but they were out of concern. That is definitely something to remember. The questions asked are to best help you not to try and find out every detail about yourself. You can write it down, draw it in a picture if you want, write a poem, or just say it. But you WILL get through this.

"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4

(#7 (permalink)) Old
confuzzled*gurl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do I say? - January 3rd 2011, 02:06 AM

Thank you guys, soo much!! You've all really helped.. I was really nervous, but after all you guys said, I'm not as nervous anymore. Thank you!!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
alex2010 Offline
Self Harm Awareness Advocate
Average Joe

Name: Alex Short

Re: What do I say? - January 3rd 2011, 03:28 AM

That's really good that you wanna get help. I could never do that when I cut. But its really responsible what your doing. But just so you know if you talk to your school counselor, they will call your parents.

~Alex

Last day I cut: 7-13-2010

I believe in everyone that I help that they will get over whatever they are struggling with.

I regret nothing in my past. My past made me who I am today.

There is freedom from self harm feel free to email me anytime if you wanna chat at:
alexshort154@yahoo.com

Send a message via MSN to alex2010 Send a message via Yahoo to alex2010 Send a message via Skype™ to alex2010 
Closed Thread