TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lexi212 Offline
Average Joe

Weird? - January 3rd 2011, 01:37 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey there everyone... I have a weird form of SH and I am wondering if any others have heard of it or do the same. Sorry if I get too graphic, I'll try not to be. I have this weird thing I do.... I pull my "personal" hairsout after I shower. I use tweezers, and I always look at the root when they come out. However, it gets weirder. I tend too bite off the root or consume the entire hair. I know its not natural, and I'm sure there are health issues associated, but to me, its like cutting without the blood. Any others do this/ know of it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
z3r0slip Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Blythe

Re: Weird? - January 3rd 2011, 10:05 AM

well, i dont know anyone personally who has this kind of self harm, probably cuz its not something u come across more often like cutting and burning, but yes it is a form. its called trichophylagia or something like that and it means to compulsively pull out hair, body, heady, ect. im obsessive when it comes to pulling out hair and i always rip eyebrow hairs, eyelashes, arm hairs, head hair out all the time. look it up its trichophagia i think.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Weird? - January 3rd 2011, 11:02 AM

I've never heard of it before. I just did a quick look on Google and here's a Wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania
And here's another site with information on it:
http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind...illomania.html
I hope this helps. I don't think you are weird at all, there are many forms of SH and this is one of them.
If you ever need anything, you can PM me and I'll be glad to help.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: Weird? - January 3rd 2011, 11:44 AM

Yes, as the other have said, it is a form of self harm. Admittedly, its not as bad as some of the other forms of self harm, but its still something thats not doing any good to your body, so its something worth trying to quit if you can. As long as it doesnt lead on to worse forms of self harm

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BasicFacts Offline
A Soul Already Sold
Average Joe

Name: Kamillia

Re: Weird? - January 6th 2011, 02:54 AM

I'm fairly certain that consuming the hairs can lead to intestinal blockages (which, trust me, have very un-fun symptoms and potentially fatal consequences), so as others have said, you probably should look into trying to quit. And since it is a form of self-harm, it is definitely not something you want to do. It can be dangerous in that it may lead to things like cutting or burning, etc.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Weird? - January 6th 2011, 07:40 PM

All forms of self-harm are as bad as each other, some are just more obviously bad straight away cutting, burning etc..whereas other are more damaging your insides and less quickly eating hair, overdosing etc..
I would suggest getting some support and talking to someone about this as it could cause you quite a few problems.
xox

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Weird? - January 6th 2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowTears View Post
All forms of self-harm are as bad as each other, some are just more obviously bad straight away cutting, burning etc..whereas other are more damaging your insides and less quickly eating hair, overdosing etc..
I would suggest getting some support and talking to someone about this as it could cause you quite a few problems.
xox
Exactly.
The self harm is still coming from the same place. the same thought in your mind. Sure, one is more damaging then the other.

I have never heard of that before. However, I did look at the links provided for you, and they look very useful.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread