TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Not exactly self-harm... - January 3rd 2011, 03:41 AM

This may not be your typical post about self-harm.

I have an addiction.

I am absolutely not going to give any more details than that to a bunch of strangers I've never met. (Plus, it's the slightest bit illegal where I am, so there's that as well.) Sorry, guys. No offense meant.

I'm trying to stop. I really am. But every time I relapse into it again, I feel like crap about myself, and cut. I think of it more as punishing myself than as self-harm, but that's not exactly a healthy way to go about it either.

I'm not depressed. I've been there; I know how that feels, and that's definitely not anywhere close to what I'm feeling right now.

I just want to know if there's a psychologically healthier way to deal with my guilt. Obviously, getting off my addiction would help. Trust me, I'm working pretty hard on it, so don't suggest that one...

Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you in advance.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
pingpanda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not exactly self-harm... - January 3rd 2011, 09:43 AM

it's hard to give exact help when there is not much information, but i think i catch your drift.
If you're not depressed but feel guilty instead, you're probably in a kind of so-so state. Am i on the right track?
Anyways, that's how i felt when i first stopped SHing. Anyways, my suggestions:
  • Cut yourself some slack in the time to come.
  • Don't beat yourself up if you slip, you're trying to change and you're doing a good job just by trying.
  • For the time being, try to separate yourself from people or places that might trigger you to relapse.
  • If you can, get help from a professional. If you're not getting help because what you do is against the law, then ask about their confidentiality policy.
Hope that helps a little. If you need help along the way, feel free to message me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Not exactly self-harm... - January 6th 2011, 03:13 AM

Thank you for your advice.

I ended up doing the first three (I still don't think I'm ready to talk to a professional about it, nor do I think it's really that bad). I also ended up telling my three best friends about my cutting, and their responses gave me more incentive to stop.

Hopefully I will.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
Closed Thread